Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ryobi RLM36X50HP lawn mower propels, but no blades

JenJ2
Finding My Feet

Ryobi RLM36X50HP lawn mower propels, but no blades

Hi, I have just got a second hand Ryobi Propulsion RLM36X50HP mower and I can't get the blades to engage.

- When you pull the bale back and press the start, the propulsion engages immediately. (Without touching the green levers - is it supposed to do that?)
- Problem is that the blades won't engage.

I have seen elsewhere that this mower might require a 6A battery to work. I am using a 5A. Could that be the problem?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ryobi RLM36X50HP lawn mower propels, but no blades

Hello @JenJ2 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your Ryobi mower.

When the mower engages without touching the green safety handles that is definitely a sign of a fault in the starting mechanism. The unit is only supposed to start when both green handles are pressed towards the handlebar. In regards to the blade, I suggest removing the battery first and checking if the blade is properly screwed into place. Perhaps the locking nut is just loose?

However, in the interest of health and safety, I suggest bringing your mower to a Ryobi certified service center and have it looked it at for possible faults. At this point in time, I don't recommend using it. 

In regards to the battery, the unit will work with both 5Ah and 6Ah batteries.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JenJ2
Finding My Feet

Thank you @EricL - the blades are tightly connected, so that's good. Two other maybes:
- My battery is only a 4Ah. I know the RLM36X50HP isn't compatible with all batteries. Could it be the battery?
- Does the catcher or mulcher not being attached stop the blades turning?
ty!
J

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JenJ2 

Thanks for the update, the 4Ah battery should work and will have no effect on the operation of the mower. The mower will also work even if the mulcher and catcher are not attached. Can you still speak to the person who sold you this mower? Perhaps they can shed some light on why it is not working properly. If it continues to malfunction, I propose getting a refund from the seller. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Eric

JenJ2
Finding My Feet

Thank you @EricL - the seller is happy to refund what I paid - I was hoping to get it going! (He bought it from someone else so isn't the original owner.)
Is there any way of finding out if a Ryobi product has been registered with Ryobi? The Bunnings guys said they would exchange the mower if it had been registered and I couldn't get it to work. I will take it to them tomorrow.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JenJ2 

The only way to find out if it is registered is to try and track down the original docket when the saw was purchased. You can also try the Ryobi website under warranties to see if the name of the original owner can be tracked own from that end.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects