Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ultra-Deck Timber Oil in Merbau

LKF
Growing in Experience

Ultra-Deck Timber Oil in Merbau

The Deck was stained with Ultra-Deck Timber Oil in Merbau with the final coat going down on Friday 24 March.
My Client has complained about foot marks being left when she walks on it.

What can I do to fix this please?

Thank you.

Oil UsedOil UsedWhite Marks near doorWhite Marks near doorWhite marks in the middleWhite marks in the middle

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ultra-Deck Timber Oil in Merbau

Hi @LKF,

Determining whether this is an issue with the product or an environmental factor is important. From the images, a dusty substance appears to be carried onto the deck on the bottom of people's feet and shoes. These white marks are also seen on the door threshold, so the issue appears to not only be with the newly oiled deck.

Do you happen to know whether these marks can be wiped away? If so, that's fantastic, as it means that it's an environmental issue that can be controlled. I'd recommend a door mat to wipe off feet after traversing the dusty exterior surface and regular cleaning as per the manufacturer's guidelines. If these marks are impregnated on the surface and can't be removed, then I can certainly contact the manufacturer to get their thoughts on why this could have occurred.

I'm keen to know more about the issue and assist further. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LKF
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much Mitchell.  I will talk with the Client and if I have any more drama's, I will let you know.

Have a lovely day!

LKF
Growing in Experience

Hi Again Mitchell, 

My client says the surface is still sticky. It's been over 3 weeks.  What can I do to remove the sticky feeling as it is not sustainable for their family.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,
Linda

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Linda (@LKF),

I've been relaying your messages to the Intergrain/Dulux technical team. Typically a sticky uncured final coating is due to application or preparation issues. If this is a Mebau deck, the timber might not have been aged sufficiently to remove tannins. Tannins can cause this effect. The drying times between coats could have caused this issue and also excessive film build-up. The weather and humidity can also play a factor.

Generally, for a coating that remains sticky and will not cure, the treatment is to strip/sand the coating off and resolve the underlying issue, whether that be excessive tannins or an application error. If you'd like to discuss the issue further, the Dulux Help & Advice team can be contacted at Ph:13 25 25 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

LKF
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, I have been able to fix the issue. I have mopped the deck with methylated spirits. No more sticky!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LKF 

Some of the common reasons that you get a sticky deck is the possibility that the first or second coat could still have been soft or not fully cured. The decking panel could have reached maximum absorption and could not absorb the oil any further causing it to remain at that top.     

Can you please tell us the steps you took to prepare the surface of the deck? Did you use another product on the decking panels before putting on Ultradeck? The more information we have the better we can diagnose the cause of the decking oil not curing.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LKF,

Thanks for that information; it rules out tannin issues, and the three days between coats sound about right. Excessive film build-up or too much product applied could also be an issue.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects