Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What base for shed build in windy area?

Angela82
Just Starting Out

What base for shed build in windy area?

Hi We are going to be building a 8 x 3.5 m shed on a gravel base and wondering what is better to use wooden pier concreted in cement at all 4 corners or the otter ground screws bunnings sell? It can be a very windy area.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shed Build

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Angela82. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a shed.

For a prefab shed, the manufacturer provides guidance on bases that comply with regulations. Typically, sheds are required to be bolted down to a concrete slab or a prefabricated base. 

It sounds like you might be constructing the shed from scratch. If so, I think you'll find that you'd need far more than a pier in each corner unless you are using incredibly large timbers for the joists. Usually, you'd use something along the lines of 190 x 45mm, which would require several footers and support along the 8000mm length, and that goes for all the joists used across the span.

For a construction of this size, I'd suggest footers and piers and recommend you consult with your local council, as approval would likely be necessary. If that's the case, then you'll need plans for the construction prepared by an engineer, and they'll specify the number of footers and supports required, which I'd guess to be in the realm of 25+.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects