Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What clear outdoor varnish would protect acrylic artwork on fence pailings?

mcgensen
Just Starting Out

What clear outdoor varnish would protect acrylic artwork on fence pailings?

IMG_2321 copy.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: clear outdoor varnish to protect acrylic artwork on fence pailings

Hello @mcgensen 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about outdoor varnish.

Since you used acrylic paint, I suggest using White Knight 310g Crystal Clear Acrylic Clear Gloss. It is the ideal clear topcoat to enhance and protect your craft and DIY projects. It resists cracking, yellowing and adds a protective coating over both solvent and water-based paints.

There is one more product I would recommend but let me just double check to make sure it is compatible with acrylic paint. As soon as I have that information, I'll get back to you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mcgensen
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric, 

Is there anything in a bigger size? there are a lot of palings to coat, I thought there might be a tin of something I could brush onto palings? 

Kind Regards

Claire

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mcgensen 

I've been speaking to Cabot's paint information desk. If the panels are not going to be in direct sunlight all day, I suggest using Cabot's 1L Matt Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Varnish. I recommend a minimum of two coats for adequate protection.

However, if the panels are going to be in direct sunlight all day, I propose using Dulux 1L Design Clear Topcoat. Plese make sure to test a small painted corner first to make sure that it adheres to the painted surface. If the results are satisfactory, you can them commit the rest of the painted panels. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects