Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best & easiest ready-to-use product for external brick mortar repair?

Tanyakarstens
Just Starting Out

What is the best & easiest ready-to-use product for external brick mortar repair?

Bricks at bottom of glass stacker doors to step outsideBricks at bottom of glass stacker doors to step outsideBricks at bottom of glass stacker doors to step outsideBricks at bottom of glass stacker doors to step outsideoriginal_d113f13c-7d93-4833-9c69-ea819d9c0c1d_20220913_153102.jpg20220913_153049~2.jpg20220915_160900.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: external brick mortar repair

Hello @Tanyakarstens 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about external brick mortar repair.

There is product called Mortafil 450g Ash Grey Mortar you can use to fill in the gap between the bricks. But I suggest investigating what caused the erosion to occur in the first place. Is water bridging its way through the mortar causing it to form a small rivulet and slowly wearing the mortar away? 

When filling the gap between the bricks, I suggest putting in a single application of the Mortafil. Wait for it to cure then add another layer on top slowly building it up until you reach the surface. Filling the gap immediately full will cause Mortafil to leak and spread out. I also recommend using painter's tape on the edge of the brick to prevent the Mortafil from drying on the surface of the brick. 

However, should you decide to remove the old mortar in between the bricks, I suggest using Dingo 10kg Mortar Mix. This is often used on re-pointing block and brick work.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to build a brick wall (the techniques used are applicable to your repair project)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects