Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What kind of brackets to use to connect post to beam?

Vidya
Getting Established

What kind of brackets to use to connect post to beam?

Hi, 

We are building a pergola minus the roof, to spread grapevines on the roof.

We need to connect 90*90mm posts to 90*35*2500mm beams. Pergola will have 6 posts in total, 3 on each side. So we will be connecting beams over 3 posts on each side. What brackets are best for the job? We do not want to cut the posts to provide extra support. In that case, do the beams sit on the posts or are attached to the side of the post? Also, will the bracket for the corner posts and middle post be different? 

Any answers will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vidya 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What kind of brackets to use to connect post to beam?

Hi @Vidya,

Thank you for your question about brackets to connect a post to a beam.

The best way to attach a beam to a post is to cut a notch for the beam to sit on. This is because the load is directly over the vertical support of the post. Beams shouldn't sit on the top of the posts as they would be screwed into the end grain of the timber which is not ideal.

Attaching a bracket will transfer the load sideways into the post with the use of a screw or bolt. This is the best way to attach a beam without notching the posts.

To make sure the beam is supported well, I would suggest you use a heavy gauge, galvanised bracket such as these Dunnings 40 x 80 x 40 x 5mm M12 Galvanised Angle Brackets fixed through the post with Zenith M10 x 120mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Cup Head Bolts And Nuts. There is no real need for different brackets to be used on the end post as they will be oriented the same. I have done a basic render below to demonstrate.

You would then screw the beam into both the post and the bracket from beneath with a suitable screw such as these ZENITH 14G - 8 x 50mm Class 3 Galvanised Bugle Batten Screws. Make sure to predrill any holes as these heavy gauge screws will split the timber if there is no pilot hole.

Let me know if you require further assistance or clarification, I am more than happy to help.

Jacob

Vidya
Getting Established

Re: What kind of brackets to use to connect post to beam?

Thank you Jacob. Especially for the image on how it should render. Makes it so much easier to understand.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects