Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What options for outdoor flooring fix?

KateDIYhome
Growing in Experience

What options for outdoor flooring fix?

Hi everyone - 
I'm half way through a project after some brilliant advice from a previous post about putting up screening to create more privacy and turn an outdoor area into a useable space!

As in the picture, the screens are up and we are loving the privacy we now have - however i want to finish off the space with something to make the flooring area look like an outside space. 
This area was previously a driveway that is no longer used for cars and i want to turn the 4x 5m space into an outdoor area for seating and bbq space.

The concrete underneath is a bit split and in one area there is a different slab that is 3cm higher. Does anyone have any advice on what i could do with this space for flooring?
Wood decking is out as i think it would be too much with the wood screening already there.

I was thinking of laying pavers and putting sand onto of the concrete to level it but i was advised the sand will move with heavy rain and displace everything? Other options include exposed aggregate or just getting enough pea-gravel to level the space smooth and using a pea-gravel glue?

The planter boxes on the base of the screening hasn't been attached yet as i am waiting to complete the flooring area before finishing and filling with plants.  

any advice most welcome! I'm definitely doing things backwards here!20230926_160420.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: What options for outdoor flooring fix?

Good afternoon @KateDIYhome 

I do like that privacy screen! :smile: Old driveways can be a pain to level or do anything over them without pulling them up.

Im not too sure if the pavers would move with heavy rain especially if you had edgeing to the area so would keep that as an option.

How about instead of sand you use 8mm gravel. I know Bunnings sells quantites that are delivered in large bags or you can go down to your local soil place and order a larger amount. (They can help you out in how much you need to order)

I have pavers down the side of my house that are reused pavers on this type of gravle and they havnt moved or been washed away for the past two years. So my suggestion would be to cover the ground in 40mm of 8mm gravel and then use pavers, either have them up close or actually go for a large paver with a space between them.

Dave

KateDIYhome
Growing in Experience

Afternoon @Dave-1 

Thank you so much for the feedback and options, it is much appreciated 🙂 
I think you are right in regards to having edging- i will go back to the drawing board and see what i can do to build edging to keep everything together and i will look into gravel instead of sand!

I can picture the end product, i just have to keep workshopping to end to the end result -i will post up a pic once its all done :smile:

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @KateDIYhome 

I was about to link to my project for my side path... I havnt posted it yet lol Dont know how I misse dthat. Will try to post it tomorrow to show you how it came up with gravel and old pavers.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KateDIYhome 

Thanks for sharing your question about your options for outdoor flooring. 

Since you're not going to be using that area for a car park, have you considered putting in a low-level deck so that it would be relaxing to step on? I understand that you're a bit hesitant to put more wood in. But there are options regarding colour specially if you use Ekodeck. You can put in light or dark grey to give you good contrast against your timber panelling.

I find that timber flooring feels much better underfoot than outdoor tiles or pavers. This is of course on the condition that there is enough clearance for you to install a deck outside. The best part about it is that you don't need to remove the concrete you just build right on top of it.

I've done a quick image manipulation of your garage area. Please have a look and tell me what you think. If you still prefer to put pavers, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @EricL 

:smile: now that does look good! lol I really should get use to using sketchup :smile:

Dave

KateDIYhome
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL 

Wow! thank you so  much for providing those mock-up designs! I will start measuring up the space more accurately and look at quoting that option up :smile:

thanks again! 
Kate 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects