Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my mandarin tree not flowering?

elsie2023
Finding My Feet

Why is my mandarin tree not flowering?

E15CAA13-6C69-4725-8DA5-D7010F080A7B.jpeg

I have a grafted mandarin tree which has been in the ground for almost 3 years. It has never had any flowers. I feed it with blood and bone and citrus fertiliser however it didn’t make any difference. 

Could it be the rootstock overtaking the grated mandarin tree? I do see a graft line at the bottom but there are 2 identical trunks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why is my mandarin tree not flowering?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @elsie2023. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Mandarin care.

Could you please gently pull the soil back from the base a little bit without disturbing the roots and take a picture of that area of the trunk? We are looking to discover a definitive graft line and determine whether suckers are growing out from under it. Some of the branches do look like they could be from the rootstock.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

685CF424-1D5A-4DEC-A3C2-04F87E4B4AEA.jpeg

8DCB8D34-133B-4C1C-A28A-2676F066583C.jpeg

Thanks! Please see photos attached 

DD837CDA-359F-417C-8A44-7AF753A9B6E2.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @elsie2023 

Thanks for sharing those extra photos of your mandarin tree. It's clear that a graft was created along the body of the root stock. But I agree with you as it is difficult to tell which is the root stock and which is the mandarin as they do look identical. From what I can recall grafted mandarin will usually take 2-3 years before first harvest. 

How often do you water the mandarin tree? What brand of fertilizer did you use? Any other information you can share about your mandarin tree would be very much appreciated.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their opinion on the graft.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric for you reply. I water the tree 1-2 times a week and feed it with cow manure/blood and bone/Osmocote citrus and fruit slow release fertiliser in winter and spring. The leaves sometimes are curl so i sprayed with the leaf curl treatment. 

The other thing I can think of is sunlight. It gets approximately Ave. 5 hours of direct sunlight. Is that too little for a mandarin tree?I also read somewhere saying mandarin takes 2-3 years to fruit but does it mean it won’t flower for 2-3 years at all? I saw some young grafted citrus trees with fruit already…

A photo when it was bought - it came with multiple branches 

1A739294-634E-4487-8E29-FC607C0DF24C.jpeg

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @elsie2023 

I suspect, in the third of your photos (the one with the stake at the front left of the trunk), that the left hand stem is coming from the rootstock, not from the grafted mandarin variety. Would you agree @mich1972? Normally, grafted plants are cut back to one main shoot once the graft has 'taken', so any other stems arising from that area are most probably from the rootstock.

The common citrus rootstocks are very vigorous and have a tendency to take over completely from the grafted variety if allowed to remain on the plant. Any shoots that appear from around the graft area should be removed as soon as they are noticed, even those above the graft.

It will take at least 2-3 years for a newly planted citrus tree of any sort to establish in its new home and start to bear flowers. The first few 'crops' may be very small but by the time the tree is 5 years old, it should be producing a reasonable crop for its size.

Thanks Noelle. Interesting update this morning - I look closely and find both trunks have thorns! Not too many but is that an indication that both are rootstock?

C1159DEB-C732-4327-8243-2AB20C030E38.jpeg

BEC64B6E-DC85-49FA-84EE-2330EA142321.jpeg

see photos below 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @elsie2023 

Those very large thorns are not encouraging. Usually, the foliage of a mandarin tree displays fine spikes. However, if the spikes resemble thorns, the foliage appears sparse, and the stem is dark green, it could indicate that the rootstock has outgrown the grafted plant. 

Let me call on @Noelle and @mich1972 for their opinion on those large thorns.

Eric

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @elsie2023 

Those long thorns are very typical of citrus rootstock, I'm sorry to say. If they are present on both branches (trunks) of the tree then I would definitely suspect the rootstock has taken over completely and you have lost the mandarin.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects