Workshop
Ask a question

Can we set up 90*90 posts in 100*100 stirrups?

Vidya
Finding My Feet

Can we set up 90*90 posts in 100*100 stirrups?

We installed 6 100*100 stirrups in concrete after someone suggested them in Bunnings when we said pergola. Now we came to purchase the posts and realized 100*100 cypress or pine posts are not smooth and do not have proper shape. We found 90*90 posts in premium section but nothing 100*100. Wondering if we can attach 10mm wood to 90*90 posts and make it work with stirrups that can't be changed. Or any other way to make it work.

Our pergola is just for grapevines and roof will be just covered in strings to spread the vine. No actual heavy weight on it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: can we set up 90*90 posts in 100*100 stirrups?

Hi @Vidya,

Thank you for your question.

I would suggest you use Macsim 5mm Yellow Half Shims on either side of the post to pack out the bracket and create a good connection. You can put them in place, predrill your bolt holes straight through them before bolting everything in place.

These shims are non-compressive plastic that I have personally used in high rise construction applications to support formwork for large concrete pours, so there is no issue with their compressive strength. They are also plastic so they will not rot due to weathering.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Thank you so much 😊 it's a welcome relief to know there is a solution. Much appreciated 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Vidya,

No worries. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to reach out. There are always people who are willing to help.

Jacob

Thank you, will do 🙂 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects