Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace decking hand rail?

DanPaul
Just Starting Out

How to replace decking hand rail?

Hi, so i need to replace a decking handrail, its outdoors and will be exposed to the elements,  it is 90x35mm.    It will be getting painted.   
Q..   can i use 90x35 framing mgp10 H2 blue pine ??       
thankyou. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: decking hand rail.

Hi @DanPaul,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

I wouldn't advise using H2 pine in a fully exposed setting. You should opt for the 90x35 H3 instead. 

H2 timber has been treated to provide protection against borers and termites but is not suitable in situations where it may be exposed to weathering or moisture for extended periods. H2 timber is typically used for indoor applications where it won't be in direct contact with moisture, such as framing for interior walls.

H3 timber has been treated to offer protection against termites, borers, and moderate decay. It's suitable for use where it may be exposed to occasional moisture but not constant or prolonged contact with water. This makes it suitable for outdoor use, such as in decking, fencing, or framing for outdoor structures like pergolas or carports.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

DanPaul
Just Starting Out

Thanks mate,  i will use what you recomended,   How long till i can paint it after purchase h3 from bunnings?  Does it need to dry out first?  Thanks. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DanPaul,

It's hard to give a very specific time to wait before painting as it really comes down to the individual timber. I've had timber come into stores that is extremely wet still and I've had stuff that is bone dry, it can be extremely variable depending on the specific supplier and the weather conditions at the time.

If the timber is abnormally heavy when you collect it, it is likely it's holding a lot of water weight. If this is the case, it would certainly be beneficial for you to give it up to a week in the general area that you plan to install it to dry out and acclimatise. If you're concerned, you could pick up an Ozito 6 -60% 0.2 -2.9% Digital Moisture Meter ODMM-P11 to test the moisture content prior to painting. The acceptable range for moisture in external timber is between 9-14%. If you find the timber is above this, you might like to give it some additional time.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects