Workshop
Ask a question

How to install a side gate?

Case
Getting Established

How to install a side gate?

Hi all,

How can I go about installing a side gate (either timber or aluminium) in this area? On one side, theres rendered wall, and on the other side, there's combination od concrete sleeper and timber fence. 

I prefer the gate to swing outward because there are obstacles like pvc pipe and electrical box blocking it if it were to swing inward.

Thank you!

1000021515.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: installing a side gate

Hi @Case,

Your best bet would be to install a post for the hinge side of the gate by concreting it into the ground. You could then attach it to the fence post for additional support. Attaching the gate to the retaining wall and fence posts would be tempting, but they already have their own jobs to do. The fence does not have posts that have been concreted in place. Instead, they have been attached to the retaining wall with brackets. This means the fence posts are not as structurally stable as those concreted in, and that is why I'm hesitant about you attaching the gate directly to them.

You'll need to measure the space to determine whether a prefabricated timber gate or aluminium gate will suit the span. They are typically around 900mm wide. If none of the prefabricated gates suit your needs, you might like to consider constructing your own gate. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to build a picket gate

We have a range of hinges and latches to suit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to install a side gate?

Afternoon @Case 

Totally in agreement with @MitchellMc  on this one, My side gate at home is at the point I need to replace it as its attache dto the house but the other side is attache dto the fence which has over the years decided to fall towards the house slightly, enough to wedge the gate almost to the point of not being able to open it or close it and this is after shaving off 5-10mm of timber from the side of the gate. 

Seperate posts concreted in are far less likely to fall out of plumb. (tho attached to the side of the house they shouldnt move either :smile:

Dave

Case
Getting Established

Thank you Mitchell! :wink: 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Case 

Here are a few sample images to give you ideas on possible construction methods. The big grey blocks are the concrete footings for the post and the gate is made from SpecRite 1833 x 900mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Horizontal Slat Gate. The posts are 100 x 100mm 2.4m Post H4 Treated Pine Wet CCA - 2.4m and the filler panels are SpecRite 90 x 19mm Merbau Pre-Oiled Decking - Random Lengths - 90mm.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

New gate 3.jpgNew gate 2.jpgNew gate 1.jpg

Case
Getting Established

Hi @EricL ,

Thank you for that! (;

May I know how do I do to make the door opens outwards? 

Also, do I need to drill the post towards the rendered wall? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Case 

If you look at the picture I've posted earlier, you'll notice three distinct hinges on the left. They would be white in colour and very small in the drawing. It indicates that the door opens outwards away from your PVC pipework. The best part of this design is that it can be switched to the direction that you desire.  

The post is imbedded in a concrete footing. It does not need to be anchored to your wall. You'll notice that I've placed small Merbau panels at the side of the posts. Its purpose is to cover the gap between your wall and the post.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Case
Getting Established

Thanks Eric! 😊 

Can I put the post flush towards the rendered wall? So that I don't have to put the merbau panels in between? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Case 

Because the post needs to be in the middle of the concrete footing the closest you can bring your post to the wall is 100mm. Bringing the post flush to the wall will compromise the concrete footing and make it weak.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects