Workshop
Ask a question

How to build a Merbau privacy screen and water feature?

Fozzy23
Finding My Feet

How to build a Merbau privacy screen and water feature?

Hi all, building another merbau privacy screen 2000mm tall 6700mm wide, using 90mm boards. Wanting to install a descent water feature which is basically a blade or thin curtain of water that will spill out from the wall , my question was is this design ok?

if I purchase one with a projected spout that shoots out (in theory not touching the wall) 

or am I best to look at a different water feature all together like a water wall and attach it to my screen?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: merbau privacy screen and curtain/descent water feature

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Fozzy23. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adding a water feature to a Merbau screen.

I apologise but I'm not sure if I entirely understand your question correctly. Do you have concerns about the water affecting the timber? 

It sounds like at least residual splashes of water will be landing on the Merbau during the operation of the water feature, and I certainly wouldn't recommend this. Oiled Merbau is perfectly fine to receive periodic wetting, such as from rain, but constantly damp conditions will cause it to deteriorate relatively rapidly. I would suggest you incorporate some time of protection to prevent water from splashing directly on the timber. This could be a sheet of aluminium, or perhaps you could add some fibre cement and then tile over it. I like the tiling option as there are a range of different ornamental tiles to choose from that can be used to enhance your styling of the area.

So, a projected spout would be best and then added protection for the Merbau to prevent splashing landing on it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,

that’s pretty much what I was asking, I was hoping not to go the stone route as I wanted to keep the merbau look consistent … having the projected spout was my “hope plan” but I understand what you’re saying as well. 

any other suggestions here to have my cake and eat it :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you were to use these SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panels, which are actually great value compared to buying the timber separately, you could replace the panel if it starts to deteriorate in several years' time.

I'd just ensure that the portion of the screen that experiences the constant wetness should be able to be swapped out if needed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects