Workshop
Ask a question

Which spray gun from Bunnings can I use to paint an asbestos fence?

ab123
Just Starting Out

Which spray gun from Bunnings can I use to paint an asbestos fence?

Hi! I have an asbestos fence that needs a makeover. I don’t wash to brush the paint on as this risks disrupting the fibres. I want a low pressure spray gun but it’s hard to work out what’s what. The most affordable but still safe option would be best. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: which spray gun from bunnings can I use to paint an asbestos fence

Hi @ab123,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thank you for your question.

I would be extremely cautious painting a known asbestos fence as you will need to clean it prior to painting, which is extremely likely to disturb the fibres and cause them to become airborne. Sealing them using something like the Ozito 400W Power Paint Spray Gun will help to seal the fibres in place, but is really only a band aid fix for a problem you might want to deal with once and for all.

This may be the perfect opportunity to have the fence removed and replaced with something safer for yourself, your family and friends, and any future users of the premises. I would suggest making some enquiries with asbestos removal companies in your area.

You might like to check out our guides on D.I.Y. Fencing & Gates as well as our Top 10 most popular fence projects for some inspiration.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects