Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Apple's connected home program

Goldmember
Having an Impact

Apple's connected home program

Anyone seen or heard of Eve? Apparently it's the first product for Apple's connected home program to be released in Australia. 

Here's the blurb:

Eve accessories gather data on air quality, temperature, humidity, air pressure, energy consumption and more. They provide insights that help users improve their comfort, and make their home a smarter place. The free Eve app controls Eve accessories as well as third party products featuring HomeKit technology. For Australia, the Eve family includes five accessories:

With Eve Energy, switch your devices on or off using Siri or with a simple tap, and instantly see how much energy your devices are using.

Eve Room senses indoor air quality, temperature and humidity and makes that personal environmental data accessible via the Eve app. That information helps you learn how to feel better in your home, powered by a sophisticated sensor analysing volatile organic compounds (VOC).

With Eve Door & Window, a wireless contact sensor, automatically control other HomeKit-enabled accessories when you open or close a door or window. Receive notifications when your door or window has been opened. And with Apple TV at home, be alerted while you’re at work or on vacation.

Eve Weather senses temperature, humidity and air pressure in the immediate vicinity of your house and makes that personal weather data accessible on your iPhone or iPad. You can even view beautiful graphs by day, month or year.

With Eve Motion, a wireless motion sensor, receive notifications when movement is detected, and automatically set scenes and control your connected accessories when you enter or exit a room.

There's more at www.elgato.com/en/eve-au 

maknilsin
Making a Splash

Re: Apple's connected home program

I haven't heard too much about the Eve system.

I've been doing a lot of research into Nest smart home products: https://nest.com/

Their thermostat seems to be able to work with aussie systems - I've tried tracking down info to find if I can have my separate AC and heating systems controlled by the one controller.
_Marley_
Building a Reputation

It's a good idea to use Siri rather than fumbling around with a remote or having to launch a dedicated app. 

TheFoxSays
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for posting this! This information is very useful and I was looking into the Nest products, but I'd much prefer something that works with Siri/Apple.
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Seems like it is window dressing to me unless it can turn off/on the ceiling fans and ducted air conditioning.
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

It would be very handy for heating and cooling. To tell it to turn on when you are 30 mins away from home so its a nice temperature when you come in the door. I guess lights would also be handy so you can ensure they come on at night even when you are not home. Don't see much value in other things like blinds, windows etc. 

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

This article has some suggestions on smart home products - https://www.domain.com.au/news/how-to-turn-an-existing-home-into-a-smart-home-even-when-youre-rentin...

That Showerguard sounds horrible though. A quick pulse of cold water! No thanks! 

Rodney
Having an Impact

This is a great link for anyone who thinking of going down this path, lots of links to check out,cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Rodney. What are you thinking about doing at your place?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rodney
Having an Impact

Learning about remotely setting heating /cooling  and lighting when away from the the home, so the outside lights and a entry light can be on whe arriving home

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects