Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Beard comb with trim guide

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Beard comb with trim guide

Another Fathers Day has past, and this time I took to the bandsaw to create a beard comb with side trim guide. 

Materials

• Any timber you have laying around. I used red gum that was destined for our fire pit. 
  • Sandpaper 80 and 120 grit 
  • Sander and 80 grit pad 

Tools

• Band saw or jigsaw if you don’t have one

Steps

Step 1

I firstly started off cutting a piece of red gum, roughly 10mm thick, through the bandsaw. 

IMG_2945.jpeg

Step 2

I drew my shape and cut it out on the bandsaw. Once I had the right shape, I sanded down the teeth section to around 1.5mm. 

IMG_2947.jpeg

IMG_2949.jpeg

I drew some guide lines for the teeth and used my bandsaw to slice and create sections. 

*if you do not have a bandsaw, this can all be cut on a jigsaw to create the same comb. 

Step 3

IMG_2958.jpeg

I used my Ryobi sander with a 60 grit pad to get the desired shape, then changed to 80. I used 80 grit sandpaper sheets in between the teeth to thin them. 

The sanding took the longest in this project, to make sure the handle grip and teeth felt right. I then went over with 120 grit sandpaper until it was all smooth 

IMG_2959.jpeg

Teeth at an angle

IMG_2960.jpeg

This project can be made with any wood or scraps, or reduced in size to make a key chain beard comb. 

I finished off with some bees wax and signing my name with my Ryobi soldering iron. 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Beard comb with trim guide

Hi @sandy_d,

This is such a practical Father's Day gift and a quick and easy D.I.Y. project. I also love how it's a wonderful way to repurpose leftover materials.   

A terrific project that allows you to show your creativity and affection for your loved ones. Many thanks for sharing. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Thank you so much @Akanksha 😊 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @sandy_d 

That is a lot of fine work! It looks great to the point I am thinking of a comb myself :smile: 

When you say you sanded the teeth down to 1.5mm from what looks like 10mm did you sand or trim it down first? :surprised: otherwise that is a LOT of sanding! 

Dont have a beard but that is a nice tool for sure.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks good Sandy. @sandy_d 👍

May I ask - what's the width of the blade you're using on the band-saw?

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Thank you @Dave-1 😊 I did try to remove some material with the bandsaw before I sanded but there was a lot of sanding! The 60 grit sander did take off a lot of material quickly. As it was my first comb, I just kept sanding until I was happy. In the future, I will just angle the teeth to cut down on sanding time. 

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Noyade and thank you 😊 I usually change the blade for resawing but I kept the same blade on. This one is approx 12mm. 

IMG_2982.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Then you did an excellent job with the curved section - using 12mm.

👍

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@Noyade I actually sliced into it, to the cut line, then cut out sections. It wasn’t bending for me at all 😂 I still have a lot to learn about bandsaws!! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I loved this project so much I just had to give it a go myself, @sandy_d! I didn't have a bandsaw blade at hand, so I cut the teeth with my jigsaw. I also needed to open them right up, as I have quite a coarse beard. It works a treat!

Wonderful work and design. 👏

Many thanks for the inspiration.

Mitchell

IMG_20230910_171627.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects