Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use MDF for skirting boards?

victoriacalhoun
Finding My Feet

Can you use MDF for skirting boards?

Spray Tan Salon renovations / advice on skirting boards. 

Hi everyone. I am in the process of renovating what used to be my garage, however, it is now fully enclosed, insulated etc and a functional home Spray tan salon as my second job.

I have been looking at skirting board options ( I need about 25 lineal metres) and have been considering MDF.  Normally, I would run a mile from MDF as I love real wood (I'm always fixing up old antiques), but when I did the skirting boards for the entire of my jarrah deck with Tasmanian oak, termites/white ants had an absolute bonanza. I've since treated. But they are definitely insidious fiends.

The floor of the tan room is painted with Rustoleum gloss. PTan Room.jpgerfect to be able to keep things clean and hygienic, and it is not a damp area. I have treated all the peripheral areas by drilling 10mm x 300 mm holes & just gone a bit wild with David Gray's, but I really don't want any termites thinking they can set up house. Hence the MDF. I did look at treated pine, but the reality is, that this house will not be here forever & I am at the stage where I need to justify how much capital I am investing. I'm of the understanding that white ants don't generally have a feast with MDF, but I thought the same thing with Tasmanian oak too.

I'd love anyone's thoughts.  Thanks very much

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Skirting boards - to MDF or not to....

Hi @victoriacalhoun 

Thanks for sharing your question about your skirting boards. My only worry about about MDF is that they are susceptible to moisture damage. I recommend painting it all around to make sure that it is totally sealed. Have you thought about using pine instead? It is more robust and can put up with a bit of wetness.

One thing you can do before you install the skirting board is to put in an insect barrier spray to protect the bottom area of the timber.

Let me call on our experienced member @Dave-1 for their recommendations.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric

100% agree about MDF, hence why I only tend to work with real wood. But, my concern was for the Termites / white ants that had a feast on my Tasmanian Oak Skirtings (on the deck at the front of the house, not internally). They seem to just be happy to eat anything if they're hungry.  I did consider pine, but I think I mentioned that I have to be able to quantify how much extra capital I am putting into this place is at one stage it will be developed. 

Thank you for getting back to me though. PS, I worked out the Ironhorse clamp. I'm actually normally told him quite heavy-handed, however, I clearly was not heavy handed enough. Thanks again.

Hi @victoriacalhoun 

It's good to hear you figured out your LED lamp. In regards to the MDF, if you plan on using it, I strongly suggest sealing it primer and using a strong topcoat such as Dulux 4L Aquanamel Semi Gloss White Enamel Paint - 4L.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Thank you Eric. I will buy pre-primed, but usually when I am painting anything I always use a primer. And yes, I always use Aqua Enamel. 
Thank you again.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can you use MDF for skirting boards?

"Normally, I would run a mile from MDF"

I can no longer run @victoriacalhoun, but I'm running with you in spirit. Whatever number of heartbeats I have left on this planet, none will be wasted on MDF. I'm totally with @EricL above - if you can avoid it - do do.

Best of luck with your new business! 👍

20240424_081834.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @victoriacalhoun,

If you were to go with Pine, due to your termite issue, I recommend using the H3-treated version, such as 66 x 18mm 5.4m Moulding H3 Treated Pine FJ Primed Half Splayed 2 LOSP. There are untreated versions that you'd want to avoid.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @victoriacalhoun 

I am afreaid I will join you in running from MDF, @Noyade pics I have seen first hand and I just dont think its worth the time and effort to install. (The whole kitchen area was affected and the mdf swelled and had to be replaced)

The skirting boards will be inside and sealed so hopefully less tasty then the Oak that you have outside. Id suggest a pine skirting board and then painted a few times. Mainly cost and ease plus life span is the reason I suggest this. I do get your concern over termites 😕 They are pain in the necks. Maybe check once a year but visul inspection and tapping with a back end of a screwdriver to see if the sound changes would be a way of mitigating the problem?

Dave

Thanks Dave. 

Even though I've been renovating for years, I've only just discovered this Bunnings Community. Much easier than actually trying to track down a human in a physical Bunnings store. Although at my local there are 2 old school tradies that work there part time and really know there stuff. I will be devastated when they retire!!! 

Afternoon @victoriacalhoun 

Ahhh but new ones will turn up! :smile: I have two examples of my presumptions about the age of a Bunnings staff verse knowledge....

First one (cant rem if they were male or female) but I wanted to use some ramset bolts to fasten down timber to concrete and they were telling me about the masonary screw would be better.... I thought riiiiight tho said I  would test nad see and now I am sold on it! They were young I do remember.

Second one was me trying to drill in timber screws, I had a female staff member who was telling me what i should use and I thought I knew better. She kept her cool and I must admit I probarly sounded like I knew it all, lol I did it my way and snapped half a dozzen screws before figuring her way was right. I went back and appoligised to her :smile: The worst part is she couldnt remember me bahahahah I feel for the staff dealing with us!

And the last one is "How many times have you helped out someone" while in bunnings that looks lost? :smile: I know I have... We are all Biunnings fans and like their products so its second nature.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects