Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Condensation issue: My windows are swimming in winter...

DCS
Cultivating a Following

Condensation issue: My windows are swimming in winter...

Hi everyone,

I've had issues with condensation on the inside of my windows for years now. I have aluminium frames, floor to almost ceiling windows, heavy blockout curtains and lace curtains. And still, I get a river of condensation build-up on the inside of all my windows. I'm toying with the idea of installing pelmets... What do you guys think?

pstq
Having an Impact

Re: My windows are swimming in winter...

We get condensation on just one window. We have ducted heating, and the ducts are under the windows. My daughter likes it cold in her bedroom, so she closed her duct, and her window started getting condensation. I opened it just a crack, and it stopped happening.

So a little warmth and airflow stops it. I assume a pelmet would reduce the airflow more. Can you try blocking the gap at the top of the curtains to test it? Maybe jam some material in there.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My windows are swimming in winter...

Hello @DCS

Thank you for sharing your query about window condensation. 

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @pstq. Condensation occurs when warm air collides with cold surfaces, or when there's too much humidity in your home and creates water, water which collects as droplets on a cold surface when humid air is in contact with it. Some of the sources of humidity in your home are:

• In the shower, if you don't have an exhaust fan to push the humidity out of the bathroom, it will get trapped in the house and will take some time to dissipate.
  • In the kitchen, if your range hood is no longer effective, the moisture produced when you cook also gets trapped in the house.
  • If your clothes dryer is not properly vented out. The moisture gets trapped in the house.

By venting these three major sources of humidity it will lower the water trapped in your house. You may also use a dehumidifier to lower the humidity in the house. Regular venting of the house will allow air to circulate inside and remove the trapped humidity. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your condensation problems resolved.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DCS
Cultivating a Following

Re: Condensation issue: My windows are swimming in winter...

Thanks for your comments guys

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects