Workshop
Ask a question

How to transition from existing carpet to new laminate floor?

julzelizabeth
Finding My Feet

How to transition from existing carpet to new laminate floor?

Hi, I've recently had new carpet laid. The transition pieces they installed are aluminum and attach to the current vinyl floor. The foundation floor is concrete.

I'm now at a stage where I can afford to replace the vinyl with laminate but I'm not sure what to do about the transition. I'm scared ill make the carpet loose and ruin it.

Do I lift the bar up from the vinyl side, remove the vinyl, replace with laminate then put it back down? 

Or, once I lift the transition piece can it not easily be put down again? 

What would be the best way to go about this? 

Any help would be amazing, thankyou 😊 

Julia 

17157497999712826387357254451202.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to transition from existing carpet to new laminate floor?

Hello @julzelizabeth 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your your question about your floor transition piece.

It's always exciting when you are at a stage where you can modify a part of your home for the better. The transition piece is either held in place with glue or hidden plastic anchors driven into the concrete floor. It might be possible to pull the transition piece out, but there is a high probability that the piece will get damaged or destroyed.

But I would not worry too much about that, as it is easy enough to replace. It's possible that the edge of the carpet is tacked or glued in place so there is no cause for alarm about it getting loose. If it is just loose, it's probable that the carpet sides are anchored to carpet anchor strips which will prevent it from moving.   

The sequence would be to remove the current transition piece and followed by the installation of the new laminate flooring and then choosing a new transition piece and installing it into position.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Lay Laminate Flooring

Here are some discussions regarding transition strips that will help:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to transition from existing carpet to new laminate floor?

Hi Eric, this was so helpful thankyou! I was able to uplift the transition bar and lay the laminate. Will be putting the new bar on this weekend 🥰

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects