Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Footings ideas for granny flat build

Jade3
Just Starting Out

Footings ideas for granny flat build

Hi Bunnings world. 

I'm considering building a granny flat. ( Yes will amend my current DA)

The issue I have is a wonderful one to have, I have a backyard full of lovely 50+ year old trees which I will not be removing

I was wondering if there are any alternatives to the current DA requirements for footings.?

Maybe something out of the box so I can have the 2 bed granny flat and keep the tree roots in tact?

I will most probably visit the council at some point to ask them this question too. It won't be happening for several months as I'm venturing on a few holidays. 

Any ideas would be wonderful 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Footings ideas for granny flat build

Hello @Jade3

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about footings for your granny flat build.

There are a few options when it comes to structural footings, you can use steel, wood or concrete. Where the footings will be placed depends largely on the size of the granny flat. The best person to answer this will be your builder or draughts person. If the tree roots are in the way of the footing the position of the granny flat will need to be changed.

If you are building the granny flat from scratch, then an engineering plan will need to be provided. Your engineer will calculate the optimal position for the footings. But if you purchase a granny flat kit, it will come with an engineering plan and the position of the footings will be pre-determined.

I imagine that you have a very particular place in mind for the granny flat, but I suggest having a second and third position handy just in case your first choice is not accepted.    

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your granny flat build.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects