Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Home automation - Where do i start?

bennyboy
Cultivating a Following

Hi team, thanks for the wonderful threads with ideas, suggestions and help articles. 

I'm looking to embark upon the home automation journey, albeit on a simple, small scale to start out. 

My first requirement is as simple as being able to turn on the garage light automatically when dark and the garage door is opened. Garage light is a regular dual batten light controlled by a regular switch. :smile:

Second requirement is to be able to able to check on my mobile whether the garage door is open or closed and remotely perform this using my mobile. I understand that the current status can be checked using a sensor, however I am looking for ideas to get started. 

My home is currently an automation greenfield, so there are no current limitations on what platform to opt for. Mobile ecosystem is iOS, so that's about the only catch. 

Thanks in advance. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Home automation - Where do i start?

Hi @bennyboy 

Thanks for sharing your question about where to start with home automation. I've been using the Grid connect system in my house for the last three years and have had no issues with it. I believe that the ability to update and upgrade are the hallmarks of a good system. 

In a previous discussion, I suggested having a look at the Orion Grid Connect Smart Garage Door Controller With Sensor along with the Orion Grid Connect Smart 1080p HD White Pan And Tilt Security Camera. The only thing missing from this set-up is the WIZ A60 ES LED 810lm Full Colour 8W Smart Globe. All these devices are wifi compatible and can be linked through the GRID system. This will tell you if the garage door is open and the camera will show you if anyone came in. The light bulb can be programmed to turn on if the camera senses motion.   

I suggest having a look at these discussions to give you a better idea of how to set up your automation:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bennyboy,

In addition to the resources Eric has shared, you might want to check out the article Smart home: where to start from the Bunnings team, which has links to other helpful guides and information.

I'm also looking forward to seeing @CSParnell weigh in on this topic as I'm sure it is a question that others will also be interested in.

Jason

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @bennyboy 

Welcome to the world of home automation once you start you don't stop 😉 my whole house and Man Shed is automated and I just started on my place of work today.

So what you are wanting to achieve is fairly simple with a couple of products.

First off a couple of house keeping requirements.

1. You require good wifi coverage with a 2.4ghz bandwidth.

2. You are fairly handy with basic tools.

3. You will need to sign up to Grid Connect (no cost) and advise Google Assist (no cost)

So for the garage door Orion Grid Connect to a great little unit

Screenshot_20230209_181735_Chrome.jpg

 Fairly easy to install and the instructions are good, the inputs go into the OSC and COM terminal of the motor and then a fixed wire runs down to the door in closed position to create a strike contact. I have posted on this as Eric has linked in his reply.

For the light tubes you should be able to change them over to the arlec grid connect 4ft LED smart tubes, the only drawback is they may not work on electronic ballast fittings (those without starters) but check the packaging.

Screenshot_20230209_182618_Chrome.jpg

From once they are both connected to the Grid Connect App you can run Scenes (automations) to have triggers and actions so if Garage Door open turn lights on, countdown 5min, turn lights off.

Because the lights need constant power to them the light switch needs to stay on (tape it in on position), so I recommend a door contact.

Screenshot_20230209_184808_Chrome.jpg

With one of these you can program it to turn on the lights when door is open and turn off when door is closed.

The other good thing with the garage remote is you can see the up/down position from anywhere in the world and control it too. You can get notifications if it is open for to long. 

You can get a notification when it is opened.

If you connect Grid Connect to Google Assistant you can activate opening the door through Google voice command along with a pin code very handy in the car if you have Android Auto.

Now if you don't want to or the tubes are not capatable then any type of plugin BC or ES fitting that you can throw one of the Grid Connect bulbs in.

Another option is a DIY batton fitting with a smart plug that you can program in to do the same

20230122_120401.jpg

These work within Grid Connect.

Plenty of options let me know which way you want to go and I'll refine it further for you.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@bennyboy I started off with a 3 pack of BC globes and now look where I am at

Screenshot_20230210_082253_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230210_082306_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230210_082315_Grid Connect.jpg

  

Screenshot_20230210_082327_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230210_082334_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230210_082355_Grid Connect.jpg

  

Screenshot_20230210_082402_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230210_082411_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230210_082422_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230210_082430_Grid Connect.jpg

And my scenes (Automations) are way to may to image capture.

bennyboy
Cultivating a Following

Thanks a lot for pitching in with your experience and feedback. Lots for me to ponder on. 

One observation i had with this setup is that it runs on Wifi, and with more devices being added, the impact on the same. This can be an issue for myself and my wife, as we both work from home and need good speeds. Has this been an issue for yourself, with the multiple devices onboard? 

I've been researching a bit into Fibaro for home automation and using Z-Wave devices, hence the question. 

Thanks in advance.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bennyboy 

If you're worried about wifi congestion, I suggest having a look at installing a mesh network such as a Tenda Nova MW5s AC1200 Whole-Home Mesh WiFi system, 3 Packs. This unit will allow you to link up to 30 devices which includes your TV, PC and laptop devices.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@bennyboy I did go to a Deco Mesh 4 x repeater (2 pack) to allow more devices connect at once.

I also have started incorporating Tuya Zigbee hubs and devices into my system and I do have Bluetooth mesh as well.

Philips system is very good but pricey but if you want to mix and match but have the ability to control it all under the one roof then look at Home Assistant as your control centre.

bennyboy
Cultivating a Following

A big thank you to every one of you who replied and provided suggestions. 

I'm still tryng to process through these, as well as contemplate on what my primary requirements are before deciding on an approach. 

Thanks once again. 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@bennyboy 

Good choice mate once you start down a platform your fairly locked into it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects