Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I build a low deck with 40mm clearance in an elevated concrete deck?

Peterf1
Just Starting Out

How can I build a low deck with 40mm clearance in an elevated concrete deck?

I want to build a Merbau deck over a 5500mm by 1830mm exposed verandah. I have 40mm clearance. I was going to use sleepers of 19mm as Joists at 450mm centers. what is the best way to allow for drainage and ventilation

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I build a low deck with 40mm clearence in an elevated concrete deck

Hello @Peterf1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Its sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a deck.

Just to be clear the 40mm clearance you are referring to is all the space that you have? If it is, I'm afraid that is not enough to build a low-level deck. Conservatively speaking a space of 200mm would be better. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area where you are planning on building the deck? This will give our members a better idea of what it looks like.

I suggest having a quick look at these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. These guides will give you a good idea of what you need to take into consideration when planning your deck framing.

I also suggest having a look at the Bunnings video guide on how to build a deck:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects