Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i fill this gap?

elbow
Growing in Experience

How do i fill this gap?

Hey Guys

I'm currently installing reveals/jambs etc around my windows using plaster. however, due to gap size i have opted to screw the plasterboards into some baton type fixings rather than trying to use plaster adhesive. What do i use now to fill in the gap; i'm assuming just normal plaster but would appreciate any input and the material to use? Very much appreciated in advance  😁🙏window fill.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do i fill this gap?

Hi @elbow,

It's good to see an update on the windows you've been fixing up.

Can you advise how wide the gap is? It looks to be around 20mm, but it is hard to tell from the perspective of the image.

If this is correct, then the gap is too wide to simply fill with plaster, you would need to put some timber backing such as a piece 42 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium you can screw a strip of plasterboard to it. You could screw it in place through the face of the plasterboard that is already in place, then cut a strip of plasterboard and screw it horizontally to the strip of timber.

Once you have put this strip of plasterboard in place, you can square set the corner using a Siniat 30 x 2400mm 90° External Angle Plaster Trim. You might like to check out How To Attach And Plaster An External Angle for some guidance on this process.

Let me know what you think, I'm excited to come up with a solution and see this project progress.

Jacob

elbow
Growing in Experience

Re: How do i fill this gap?

Hey Jacob Yeah its slow progress due to work, weather etc  😭

The gap is pretty big but i couldn't avoid it unfortunately 

Your suggestion makes sense and i may have to do the same at the sides also on a couple of the windows too so thank you for that.

I have just had some success with the extra strength no nails stuff to glue timber to the concrete so perhaps i can use that again, its very solid stuff  :smile: 

Massive thanks again Jacob! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects