Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a bottom-mount drawer slider?

Fixmyhouse
Finding My Feet

How to add a bottom-mount drawer slider?

Hi All! 

Does anyone know what sliders I could use to create a bottom mounted basket slider? 
This is the sort of thing I mean. 

Practa Solutions 410mm Base Mount Slide Out Basket - Bunnings Australia

Fixmyhouse_0-1691663825381.png

I don't want to attach them to the sides, because then my DIY needs to be 100% spot on... and it isn't! 

I wasn't sure if something like this would work, or they are side mount only.

Goliath Standard Drawer Slide Pair - 300mm - Bunnings Australia

I want to build pull out draws for my kitchen cupboards :smile:

Thank you :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help me find a Bottom Mount Draw Slider

Hi @Fixmyhouse,

Most sliders are designed to operate on their sides, not their face, so there aren't any convenient mounting holes for your intended orientation. Typically if your cabinet carcass is imperfect, you'd add shims to the sides of it before installing the sliders. So, if your cabinet's internal width is 470mm and you need 450mm, you'd add a 10mm packer/shim to each side.

You could potentially try to mount the sliders on the bottom, but I presume since the bearings aren't designed for that purpose, the sliders might not operate smoothly or could get jammed with a heavy load. Also, you might experience a reduced lifespan on them. I've had a look for you and am unable to locate a bottom mount drawer slider sold separately.

If you can provide a little more information on the issues you think you might run into when trying to achieve a suitably sized cabinet carcass, I'm sure our helpful members would be more than happy to provide guidance.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to add a bottom-mount drawer slider?

Good morning @Fixmyhouse 

I like the idea of flat mounted rails but havnt really come across from them. That first link seems to indicate the basket comes with flat mounted rails tho so they must be avialable somewhere. Maybe the special order desk can help out ordering part of a kit? 

I was extremley nervous installing sets of draws in my kitchen and probarly held my breath more times then I care to admit. It went easily especially as I setpped through instructions. There is a nice video in that first link I just watched and it shows how to nicely.

@MitchellMc said if the cabinet is out of square or different widths you could use spacers to align. Do you know the internal dimensions? and could you show a photo of the a cabinet you want to retrofit? Last question is are you removing the current doors to your cabinets or what the new draws to be behind the existing doors?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects