Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a timber loft space?

mbar1
Just Starting Out

How to add a timber loft space?

Hello All,

I'm interested in builing a timber loft space in the entrance to our house, which has a high cathedral ceiling, and I am seeking some guidance to how to construct it.

The entrance dimensions are 3.4 m x 3.5 m. The height is between 3.7 m and 4.9 m. The inside walls are all veneer.

The loft space should go around the the room, leaving a square opening in the centre.

Some questions:

Would the wall studs can be used to support the structure or additional support would be needed?

How to minimise/conseal any fixing?

Below are a few photos showing the room.

Thanks. Miron

Entrance photo 3.jpgEntrance photo 4.jpgEntrance photo 1.jpgEntrance photo 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber Loft Space

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mbar1. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a loft.

Unless you have experience designing structural alterations, I'd suggest you first have an engineer design the loft space for you. From there, you can decide whether this is a project you'd like to build yourself.

I'd presume that the wall studs will come into play with the design, but an investigation would need to be done to verify whether additional structural elements are required. Unless you plan on having posts across the span to support the loft, the installation of some large calibre LVLs will be needed. That puts this project design and construction out of your typical D.I.Y. sphere. 

Once you have had your loft designed, we can start talking about fixings and their concealment.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects