Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add loft storage?

hannahfaithful
Just Starting Out

How to add loft storage?

I really want to add storage to my loft. There is plenty of space what would be the best boards to use as the hatch is fairly narrow?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: loft storage

Hello @hannahfaithful 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about adding loft storage to your home.

There have been a few discussions regarding lofts being converted into storage areas. One of the main points we often talk about is the ability of the ceiling frame to hold weight. It is technically strong enough to be stepped on for inspections, but not strong enough to carry a great amount of weight for any extended period. 

However, the good news is that it is possible to modify the structure of your loft so that it can carry weight. I recommend asking a builder for a quote for possible conversion costs. In this manner, it will be built to carry weight and will pass council rules should it be inspected. The most important part of course is that it will be safe.

Below are the links to the discussions I spoke about:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects