Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to adjust Ryobi door closer?

Matthew3
Finding My Feet

How to adjust Ryobi door closer?

Hi. With Ryobi door closers,  when adjusting the closing or latching valves counter clockwise to speed up the closing motion, if the valve is turned too far will the hydraulic fluid leak out?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ryobi door closer adjustment

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Matthew3. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about the Ryobi door closer.

Is leaking hydraulic fluid an issue you are having or one that you are anticipating? Under normal adjustment, there should not be any fluid leaking from the unit. If you are experiencing fluid leaking, it would likely be due to the screw being forced past the maximum point on the speed adjustment or a faulty unit. You should be able to turn the screws counter-clockwise to the maximum speed setting without issue.

I look forward to hearing more and answering any questions you might have.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. No leaking now. I was concerned that, since I don't know how far counterclockwise the screws are now, if I turned one farther counterclockwise it might go too far and leak. I also got replies from Ryobi Australia online support who said if a screw starts at the completely closed clockwise position, then can turn it up to 7 full turns counterclockwise without leaking. Also, from the same query Ryobi Japan emailed and said as long the screw isn't turned so far counterclockwise to where the screw head is raised  above the surrounding metal plate of the door closer, then it won't leak. I guess this is what you're also saying?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear you've successfully adjusted the door closer, @Matthew3. That's more-or-less what I was trying to convey.

Thanks for the update.

Mitchell

Hi Mitch

I just installed the D1200 Ryobi door closer. It works fine but you need to be a body builder to open it. The spring tension is rediculous and almost beyond my wifes capabilities given that she has arthritis in her hands.

Some of the other models have a spring tension adjustment but not the D1200 which was obviously designed for fire doors or perhaps goal cell doors.

I am tempted to pull the thing apart and tinker.

Can you help me?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GeoffC. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about the Ryobi D1200 door closer.

Sorry to hear the closer is giving you issues.

That's a commercial-grade unit designed for doors weighing between 30 and 65kg. It also doesn't have the ability to be opened quickly; it must be done reasonably slowly. Is there any particular position where your wife is struggling to open the door? For example, is it the first 15 degrees or beyond 90 degrees? Or is it just difficult, no matter the position? There are some adjustments on that closer, but they deal with latching and back check. So, if she struggles to open the door, the latching tension could be set too high.

You'll also want to check that the mechanism is fixed in the correct position and that the forearm is adjusted so it sits perpendicular to the door when closed.

If this appears to be a case that the closer is just too powerful for your circumstance and your door weighs less than 30kg, then I'd recommend swapping the current closer out for the Ryobi Lightweight Door Closer

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell

My wife has most trouble with the first 15 degrees. I did experiment with the adjustments but they didn't have a significant effect on the tension only caused the door to slam. I think I simply have the wrong closer for the door. It seems too late to return it now the packaging is damaged.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GeoffC,

I'm currently in the process of determining whether the opening resistance you're experiencing is to be expected with this product. Could you please verify that the closer was positioned per the diagram below? If it was positioned further away from the hinge, then this could be causing the opening resistance.

If the closer was positioned per instruction, I see no reason for an average person to experience difficulties opening the door. I also have concerns about your wife's ability to open the door. Due to safety concerns, doors should be easily openable. Please bear with me while I investigate, and if the product is not fit for purpose, I'll happily organise a return on it for you.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your patience @GeoffC.

I've been able to establish that the commercial closer you've installed can be difficult to open as it's designed to close doors up to 65kg. I suggest you look at the Ryobi Black Light Duty Domestic Door Closer, as it will be far easier to open. 

I'll reach out via private message for further details so I can facilitate the return of your current closer.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

I believe the install is correct but please check the attached photos 

Geoff

PXL_20230213_014402810.jpg

PXL_20230213_014338178.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects