Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach bifold door handle?

marieneedshelp
Building a Reputation

How to attach bifold door handle?

Hi, I'm looking for advice regarding my external door handle on my bifold door.  Recently I noticed one of the screws attaching the plate was loose but no matter what I did it wouldn't grip when I tried to screw it back in. Now the other screw has come loose, and therefore the plate with attached handle has come off .  There's nothing wrong with the screw and the corresponding bit that it's supposed to screw into.  In fact I've take both the back and front plates off the door and tested it and the screws screw in fine.  My problem is is when I'm attaching it back on the door I can't get the screws to line up to grip/attach.  Sometimes I get one screw in but but never both at the same time..  Is there a trick to lining up the screws?  I really don't want to pay a couple of hundred dollars to get a locksmith out just to screw in two screws.  Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated....any suggestions?

20230922_123732.jpg

  

Screenshot_20230922-122128_Gallery.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: external door handle problem

Hello @marieneedshelp 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your door handle installation.

From your description something is happening between the time that you put the front plate on and installing the mounting screws onto the other side. I suggest tyring this method. Remove the plate that allows the screws to pass through and leave the plate that has the screw posts in it. Attach the screws onto this plate and observe if either screw is not totally level. 

While the screws are attached place the other plate beside the screws and observe if they are lining up with the entry holes of the plate. You'll immediately see if there are alignment issues, plus this will also tell you if the screw needs to put in at an angle in order to meet up with the mounting posts on the other side. 

Your choices are to install the door handle even if one of the screws goes in at angle or replace the entire unit with a new set.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
marieneedshelp
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric, Thanks for your suggestion.  However when I went to remove the plate you suggested to remove, which is on the internal side of the door, I couldn't because the lock/latch that you turn to lock the door  prevents you from removing it - it keeps it in place.  I can only move that plate a few mils out, as you can see from the photo.  The external plate comes completely off though.  Thats the one I screwed the screws into to make sure they screwed in ok whilst not on the door.  On the external side I can see the screws poking through, and try to centre them but as soon as I put that plate back on they lose their position as there's nothing to support them.  I can't help but think there's an easy solution but I just can't work it out.  Thanks for that suggestion though:)

Hi @marieneedshelp 

Thanks for that additional information. My next suggestion is to line both plates up and install just one of the screws onto the assembly. The objective here is to at least make sure that one of the screws is working. If the screw holds both plates properly, I suggest getting a torch and have a look if you can see the mounting post through the mounting hole. Theoretically you should be able to see the mounting post through the mounting hole. It should also tell you if the second post is out of alignment.

Please give this a try and tell me if you are able to spot any misalignment.

Eric

marieneedshelp
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric, Thank you once again for that suggestion.  I have been trying to fix this door since 9 am this morning.  A couple of times I've managed to get one screw in.  Now, I can't seem to even manage  that.  I have tried looking through the hole with a torch but it's still too dark to see.  It's crazy how loose this screw sits inside.  I know it keeps moving as I put the door handle on even though I'm holding in place with a screwdriver.  I've attached 2 pics of when I'm trying to centre the screw with a screwdriver and another pic when I remove the screwdriver just as an indication of how much the screw moves.

20230922_154354.jpg

20230922_154403.jpg

Hi @marieneedshelp 

While I'm trying to think up of other possible solutions. 

Let me call on some of our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations regarding your door handle installation.

Eric

marieneedshelp
Building a Reputation

Thanks, Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to attach bifold door handle?

Good afternoon @marieneedshelp 

I know that frustration! I had the same a few weeks back when I was trying to put back together my screen door handle. I watched so many videos and I followed instructions closely. It wasnt until I realised that the door had to be in place to put the lock in to catch on the catch plate that I had that ah-hah! moment.

I just had a quick look for exterior bifold door handles (On youtube) for install but havnt found any yet. I will have a look again when I get home. 

I am thinking if you know the brand (not sure if you have said it) then maybe there are install instructions that will show that tiny step that might be missing.

The last bit of advice is maybe loosing off the plate taht sits in the side of the door handle area. Not remove just loosen it to give the whole handle some movement?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying.  I have been on YouTube trying to find some similar situation but, like yourself, I haven't found anything similar.  The only brand name I can find is on the actual lock section itself, but haven't found anything online with that name that looks like my particular door handle. It's called Union Assa Abloy.  I've had no luck online that's why I've headed here in case someone has had a similar experience and can point me in the right direction:)

20230922_163357.jpg

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @marieneedshelp 

it looks like the nut section is loose, is it possible to check and tighten the female threaded section, then try to re fit the screws, if unable to do this, try a spare longer threaded screw or piece of all thread cut longer than than door thickness and the two door handles , then line up both handles with the longer threaded bar, either clamp or tape in place, then undo one of the threaded rods and fit the original screw, tighten, then do the same for the other threaded rod, if you don’t have threaded rod, use a longer screw with the head cut off.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects