Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a barn door from VJ panels?

jfo888
Growing in Experience

How to build a barn door from VJ panels?

118914052_953174021853963_6711384897229994638_n.jpgHas anyone made a door for barn door style out of VJ panels ? or something similar ? I need a 2100 x 1800 wide door but the barn doors are solid pine and super heavy/very expensive. This is a door from a quote I got.

mattoharae
Getting Established

Re: Barn door hack

i made one with vj panels.

i got 2 2100 x 720 hollow doors from bunnings and biscuit joined and glued together. then cut vj panels with a track saw, with mitered edge, so i could wrap around the 2 doors i joined together with the panels. i just put liquid nails on the doors, layed the panels ontop of the doors and let dry before turning over and doing opposite side. then used clamps/straps to hold and glue the edges then put on handle and track rail on, also routered the under side for the door guide. bit fiddly but come up really well.barn door.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jfo888. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see @mattoharae has possibly joined the community to assist you in your project and provide a helpful solution.

A door of any style in the dimensions 2100 x 1800mm is going to be relatively heavy. Using hollow core doors as @mattoharae mentioned will most likely provide the lightest weight yet structurally sound door possible. Alternatively, you could simply use Easycraft 2400 x 1200 x 9mm MDF Interior Primed Wall Lining and create an internal structure to provide thickness and support to it with 42 x 19mm dressed pine. This would be a frame around the outside and then several internal cross members to provide rigidity.

Working off the door method, you could consider joining two of the Hume 2150 x 1000 x 35mm Frontier Internal Barn Doors together as they already have a pattern on their surface.

You might find this article of interest- Barn-style sliding doors how and why to get the look. We also have the required hardware Lockwood 2m Outland Barn Door Track Hardware Kit available but I suggest a door of your scale would need two kits.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mattoharae. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

That looks like a fantastic project with a great finish and an ingenious way to create a wider style barn door. The wider style is certainly very appealing, well done.

We look forward to hearing about more of your projects around the house and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need a hand or would like to share them with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspirational project within the community as our creative members are contributing their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jfo888. We're really pleased to have you join us. 

You might also get some inspiration from these projects shared previously by other community members:

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. We're here to help.

Jason

jfo888
Growing in Experience

Thanks @mattoharae

That looks fantastic! did you finish off the edges with anything or just stopped where the VJ stopped ? Would you have a close up pic of the side joins ? Great work exactly what I'm after!

jfo888
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jason what a great community!! Will take a look at everything!

mattoharae
Getting Established

@jfo888 

barn door side.jpg

i had to mitre the edges so they would wrap around the door. i just allowed the depth of the vj panel, 9mm i think it was, to overhang. i drew a picture looking from ontop of the door if it hepls make sense.barndoor top.png

jfo888
Growing in Experience

Thanks I’ve been sidetracked but keen to get onto this

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jfo888,

It's great to hear you still working on the project. We can't wait to see the results. 

Please let us know if we can be of any assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects