Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an adjustable height monitor stand?

evo75
Finding My Feet

How to build an adjustable height monitor stand?

D218BFEA-BD3A-43FB-ACEA-06AFE6365594.jpeg

How do I build a monitor stand with height adjustable legs. I’ve searched everywhere for one that will be long enough to fit dual monitor screens - 56cm each. I also would like a 50cm gap between the legs so my keyboard can fit underneath. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build an adjustable height monitor stand?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @evo75. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a monitor stand.

There are likely many different ways you could create a monitor stand to suit your needs. I've created a rendering for you below of one that would house your keyboard and a couple of drawers. It could be made from DAR Pine and uses relatively simple construction techniques. Alternatively, if you wanted to re-create something similar to your inspiration image, then that could easily be done with a length of 235 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium and some Adoored 100mm Pine Square Furniture Legs.

The adjustable height part is where the project starts getting a bit more complex. How much height adjustment do you require, and how often will you be adjusting the height? I'd suggest you build the stand to suit the best height for working at the table and avoid it being adjustable if possible. If you are after more adjustability than one height, I'd highly recommend you consider mounting the monitors to the wall with full-motion TV brackets or to the desk with a desk mount stand. I've used various forms of monitor stands for many years and have never been as happy as I am now with a wall mount. I have my monitor spaced 70mm off my desk, so the keyboard slides under it nicely.

You might also like to check out these previous discussions:

Keen to hear more about your adjustability requirements. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Hey @evo75 , 

Building a monitor stand is a great DIY project and a good way to customize your workspace to fit your specific needs. For reference, I completed this monitor stand not too long ago for use in my home office.  And just to keep a trail, it looks like you linked an image to a GKU Dual Monitor Stand@MitchellMc has created a great response and a rendering to match.

On my approach, I'd establish size and setup. Measure the following: 

• Monitor x 2 size (so 112cm or more with gap)
  • Approx desired total monitor stand size compared to Desk Size (Width+Length)
  • Desk Size (Width+Length)

Once you've established this, determine the desired height of your monitor stand, remember to consider placement compared to your seating arrangement. Next, move on to how you are going to place your monitor on the stand itself, including orientation (Horizontal - Horizontal, Horizontal - Vertical, Vertical - Vertical), there's a few ways you can do this: 

• Use the monitors original stand and simply place them side to side 
  • Mounted individually (or together) using clamps
  • Built into the monitor stand itself (Something like this would be suitable for two screens)

Once this is done, you'll need to gather some supplies. You'll need wood, @MitchellMc linked to DAR Pine and lengths that would be great for a project like this, you'll also be able to get it cut to the desired size in store if you wanted. As for the legs, there are many to choose from in here. Otherwise, grab yourself a Drill, Nails, sandpaper, Varnish & Spray paint (if you want the legs to be black). 

If your only reason for having the stand is to mount your monitors and have a keyboard underneath of it, then I wouldn't bother with the adjustable portion of the stand itself and instead focus on the adjustability of the monitors. Construct the thing to be purpose built to your needs and size (in this case, holding two monitors, placing a keyboard under it), so all it really needs to be is sturdy. I found my stand to be a perfect height using 95mm legs (with 5mm routed into the stand itself, so 90mm high) and it allows my keyboardto easily fit under it. 

You'll need to sand the DAR to get things nice and smooth, but to get the rounded edges as with the image provided, you'll need a trim router and a round over bit.

Remarka6le
woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Be careful adjusting the height of a monitor. Many have been told to have the top of the monitor above eye height in order to stop slouching. The problem is that this causes more eye strain than having the monitor lower. Monitor height should actually have the monitor top just below eye line.

So here's how I would do it. Make two bases. The top base would be where the monitors would sit. On the four corners mount these:

40mm Pinetrim Dowel - Bunnings New Zealand

Make sure to have them about 30 or 40mm in from the edges.

For the bottom base you'd build boxes that the dowel would slot into. Then drill holes that smaller dowels would fit into to lock everything in place.

Here's a quick drawing that I made to show what I mean.Dirty drawing of monitor standDirty drawing of monitor stand

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @woodenwookie 

Thank you so much for sharing that idea. That is an excellent way to adjust the monitor stand without having to resort to complex mechanical methods. Plus, it's easy to assemble and you don't need special parts or tools to put it together. Let me tag @evo75 to make sure they see your fantastic recommendation.

Eric

Awesome idea however may be beyond my handyman skill level.

I’ve been trying to find adjustable feet, would be great from 4cm

- 11cm that can go up in 1cm increments like telescopic pole for walking stick

or similar to this

IMG_2598.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We have some adjustable feet that you might like to take a look at @evo75. The issue with feet, like in your image, is that the internal extension piece is always slightly shorter than the outside one. They typically can only double in length, like 4cm-8cm. It would be hard to find one that can shorten to 4cm but then extend to 11cm. That would require a triple concertina system.

Mitchell

Thank you. I am going to try and restore this (top of bar). It’s around 140cm. 

IMG_2603.jpeg

 this below pic if lulls the top folded however providing if fits on my desk will keep it full length. Maybe a short dowel leg with adjustable level feet?

IMG_2608.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It looks like you could turn that bar top into an amazing monitor stand @evo75.

Dowels with adjustable feet could work. We also have these adjustable Adoored 50 x 100mm Round Cabinet Legs.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, is the height 10cm? My current monitor is 10cm plus 1cm for base of my screen. I find this height a little too high.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects