Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an office table?

redcamper
Finding My Feet

How to build an office table?

Hi, I'm planning to build an office table using the Practa 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Timber Benchtop. If I don't want to use table legs, how do I mount it on the wall? L-brackets? Which kind? How do I also prevent the middle part from bowing? Idea is similar to this featured project, but not sure how was it done. As the table is being used by 2 people, I was also thinking of using the Alex drawer from IKEA to be placed at the middle of the table as a separation and also as a support. 

Thank you. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Office table

Hello @redcamper 

Thanks for sharing your question about building your own office table. If you are thinking of using angle brackets, I suggest using Carinya 400 x 350 x 25 x 3.5mm Stayed Straight Bracket - single - Black. The 400mm side goes towards the benchtop and the 350mm side goes towards the wall.

In order to anchor the angle brackets properly, I suggest screwing them into the timber stud of the wall. However, if it happens that the studs are in wrong place and does not line up with the angle brackets, I suggest using a straight timber support such as the 70x35 framing timber at the back and sides.

The cabinet drawer can then be placed in the middle and serve as the center support. This is on the condition that there are walls on the side of the office table. Otherwise, it might be necessary to make some timber legs. 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration:  Top 10 most popular desk projects

Let me call on our experienced members @Nham, @Tara86 and @Remarka6le for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply. One side of the desk and also the back will be against the wall.

1. How many angle brackets do I need for a 2.2m desk?

2. If I were to put the cabinet drawer on the other end of the desk (not wall end) like the featured project I linked earlier, there will be no centre support. With it being 2.2m, will it bow in the middle? And what can I do to prevent this? 

Thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @redcamper 

If two sides of the benchtop will be supported by the wall, you'll probably need only one angle bracket to support the centre of the desk. If the benchtop is going to be supported by the drawer, I suggest just supporting the back and side with timber.

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how to hold the benchtop in place. I propose anchoring the timber support on your stud wall so that it will be secure.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric, the drawing really helps. It is exactly what I had in mind. Can you advise on what screws do I need for the timber support and the bracket?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @redcamper 

For the timber support, I suggest using Zenith 8G x 75mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws. To screw the timber to the benchtop, I recommend using Hafele 23 x 23mm Angle Bracket - 20 Pack. For the large black angle bracket, I suggest using Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 4 Pack for the wall and for the benchtop, I suggest Zenith 8G x 25mm Countersunk Gold Rib Head Chipboard Screws.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects