Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change Pine chair leg colour?

lisap
Finding My Feet

How to change Pine chair leg colour?

IMG_2128.jpeg

IMG_2129.jpeg

Hello! I’ve picked up these chairs on Facebook marketplace and would like to try a lime wash or a lime wax to take out as much of the orange/yellow of the pine legs to get me closer to a coastal look! 

I’m a bit confused as to whether I should use a wax or a varnish or paint. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Also are there any orbital sanders that would work on chair legs? I figured I’d just be using sandpaper and building my arm muscles! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change pine chair leg colour

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lisap. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about coating timber.

I'd suggest that most of the yellow colouring is due to the coating on the legs. It's likely some type of polyurethane that has an orange/yellow tint. To be able to coat over the legs and achieve the look you're going for, you'll need to sand the coating off. I think you'll find even the exposed Pine beneath will be much less yellow. Once the bare timber is exposed, you can add your limewash. I'd recommend a lime wash and varnish combo similar to Feast Watson 250ml Liming White Satin Stain & Varnish, so you get the whitened effect, but the varnish also protects the coating and timber.

Orbital sanders will work on chair legs, but as they have a flat sanding plate, they don't lend themselves particularly well to sanding curved surfaces; you need to be very careful not to put flat spots in them. You might be better off with a detail sander that will allow you to have more precise control.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Oh thank you so much Mitchell, I really appreciate the advice. Especially on a Sunday! Off to Bunnings I go! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @lisap, and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects