Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut floorboards sitting on a joist joist?

H-M
Finding My Feet

How to cut floorboards sitting on a joist joist?

Hi Team 

I have removed and internal wall in my 1967 home only to find the Ash floor boards don't flow all the way through. I am looking to cut them back on the joist and add in a reclaimed ash board to tie it all together (I've included a photo of it). The boards are 18mm thick. 

I am seeking advice in relation to cutting the boards back. Is a circular saw the best tool for me to use? 

I look forward to you advice.

1000004422.jpg

1000004419.jpg

1714028700855.jpg

1000004420.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cut floorboards sitting on a joist joist?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @H-M. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cutting floorboards.

A circular saw would be the most effective tool for a tradesperson. Whether it is for you really comes down to your ability. You only get one shot with a circular saw, and if you cannot follow the line, you might cause significantly more work. The other option would be to use a multi-tool, which would take far longer but would be more forgiving.

You need to examine how the boards are nailed to the joist. If nails run in the line of your cut, you'll need to remove them first. Remember your PPE, including safety goggles and a dust mask.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your advice Mitchell. 

I've already considered the nails and will need to renail a number of the boards.

I also have a multi-tool so will be able to see which works best in this case. 

HM

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @H-M 

Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend drawing cutting guides and doing a few practice cuts on some off cut timber before you commit to cutting your floor.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
H-M
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric

Great suggestion. 

Cheers HM

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects