Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps between floor and wall?

nipanwar
Finding My Feet

How to fill gaps between floor and wall?

Hello experts,

Looking for some advise on how to fill the gaps shown in pictures.

First query-

The gap between house external wall and walking path is all around the house and goes deep (2-3 inches). What is the best and economical solution to fill these gaps.

Second query

One of the gap is between walkway and garden stairs which is big, like 8-10 inches. I have observed insects and small reptiles making it their home, What can I use to fill and seal off.

this gap

Third query - Gap between wall and sliding door frame. What product can I use to fill the gap and seal it off?

I did review other posts on how to fill gaps like https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/How-to-fill-gaps-between-floor-and-wall/td-p/... but wanted to check if there is any other ideas since the length of these gaps is large. 

Thanks in advance,

gap between wall and walkwaygap between wall and walkway

5.JPGgap between walkway and stairsgap between walkway and stairsgap between wall and walkwaygap between wall and walkwaysliding door and wall gapsliding door and wall gap

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gaps between floor and wall?

Hi @evisbal,

Sika 310ml Grey Concrete Sikaflex Pro+ Polyurethane Sealant can be used to fill a variety of gaps between separate elements of your home. It's especially good where movement might be involved.

For the larger gap under the stairs, you'll need to fill it with a cement product such as mortar. You might like to fill the majority of the void with mortar and let it dry, you can then use a trowel and Dunlop 5kg Ardit Rapidset Repair Mortar to smooth off the face.

Instead of filling the void, you could just cover it by attaching a couple of lengths of 140mm Merbau decking. The timber can be attached by pre-drilling the concrete and inserting wall plugs. You'll then be able to screw through the timber into them.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects