Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish VJ panels on a 3200mm feature wall?

ButcherBoy
Getting Established

How to finish VJ panels on a 3200mm feature wall?

Hi Community

I have a situation  that my partner has created for me...

I have a 850mm x 3200mm wall that now has to have VJ paneling on it.

Easycraft 2400mm x 1200mm easyVJ

This is what I'm hoping to use... I was hoping I could use a 900mm board to make up the shortfall.

Now my problem is apparently I need an expansion gap at the top.

And if I do join the two boards vertically on top of each other, how obvious will that join be.?.?

Can I leave a gap at the bottom and put skirting over it and some trim at the ceiling?

Appreciate your input

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish VJ panels on a 3200mm feature wall?

Hello @ButcherBoy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to finish EasyVJ panels.

The key to joining the EasyVJ panels is to make sure that the cut channels are lined up. I suggest using UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler in combination with Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper to fill in the tiny gaps between the two sheets. I suggest not putting too much filler on so that it will not be very noticeable.

Once the filler cures you can then begin to sand the joins so that it will have a nice smooth surface. Make sure to wipe off all the sanding dust before you begin panting the panel.

In regards to the gap at the top and bottom you can have them bigger as the skirting board and ceiling cornice will be able to cover the gaps up to 60mm. I've sketched up a sample drawing below to give you an idea of the space you could possibly put in. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask while working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ButcherBoy
Getting Established

Thanks for the reply Eric. 

I will attach a picture for clarity. 

the wall is 850mm wide & 3200mm High. 
So,

image.jpg

my question is can I ‘stack’ a vj panel 2400 high and a 900 on top ( to get to my 3200 required height… cut to fit obviously…. Will the ‘join’ between the two panels be noticeable even after some crafty spak work.?.? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ButcherBoy 

This is the part where your artistic skills come into play. I suggest doing a test fit on the floor to make sure that the groove lines line up and that the joins are neat. I can't guarantee a flawless finish, but if you take your time and not rush the finishing of the join, it should look pretty good. 

Keep in mind that the join will technically be visible if observed very closely. But if you've applied the filler neatly the join should be difficult to spot. The final finish will reveal itself once you've painted the surface of the panel. If you see any imperfections on the first coat, you'll still have a chance to repair it.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects