Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish a SpecRite 1800x600x18 Acacia Golden Panel for a desk?

AmatuerWoodWrkr
Finding My Feet

How to finish a SpecRite 1800x600x18 Acacia Golden Panel for a desk?

Greetings!

I'm excited to venture out into my first home project build and hoping to get this right... lol... the first time. So very keen to get as much advice as possible. 

As I already have done a bit of prep work, I have already acquired the panel, as well as some shelf furniture and a standing desk frame from Amazon that I will be mounting the panel to.

My questions came from me reading the Instructions and product description that came with the panel. It states that the product is pre-oiled, but states that I should use an oil and sealant before going to work on this. So just curious if anyone has any recommendations as to which products Bunnings carries that I could apply to the panel to give it more of a smoothed out finish. Is this just from an oil and sealant as the product sheet recommends?

Also, as the panel came at 1800mm, I will be trimming this down to about 1550mm to fit the space better, so I'm thinking I will need to sand the cut edge... or would it be better to cut a bit off each edge for more of a matching finish? 

Also, as I'm getting used to metric measurements, what sort of mounting screws should I purchase... I would like to ensure that the panel is accurately fitted and secured to the standing desk. 

A couple of other things that I intend to do is see if its possible using a router, to carve away a space underneath to mount a wireless charging pad under the panel so I could possibly trickle charge my phone just by placing it on the desk. Does something like this take away from structural rigidity of the product? 

The more I add to this, the more questions crop up. So I want to leave this here and see what cool ideas y'all have. And I'm pretty sure that the answers supplied will generate even more questions.

Thank you for your time and look forward to your awesome answers!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish a SpecRite 1800x600x18 Acacia Golden Panel for a desk?

Hello @AmatuerWoodWrkr 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about how to finish an Acacia golden Panel for a desk. 

Your panel currently has been pre-oiled so that you can literally attach the legs and use it straight away. The oil will eventually fade in time and when that time comes that's when you sand it down and apply a new coat of oil or sealer of your choice. Any area that you cut must be sealed with oil again to prevent moisture damage. I suggest having a look at the Feast Watson 1L Clear Outdoor Furniture Oil.

It's a fast-drying oil, deeply penetrates and has water, fungi and mould resistant properties. It comes in a clear finish which means that it will not contrast with the current oil that has been applied. Putting oil on your panel now will not be as effective as it will not get absorbed by the timber fibers.

If you are after a smoother finish, it will require you to sand the surface back to timber. In order to have that smooth satin finish, I suggest using Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. Please keep in mind that this is a clear finish, and the timbers colour will show through.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Here are some fantastic office table projects our Workshop members have shared.

When trimming the panel, I suggest cutting one side only. Any cut edge can be sanded down to get a good finish and please remember to oil the cut edge to prevent moisture damage.  

When choosing screws for your table remember that the overall thickness of the panel is 18mm plus the thickness of the steel legs you'll be attaching to it. For example, if the leg plate has a thickness of 3mm you'll need to add the thickness of the panel which will give you a total of 21mm. I recommend a screw that is no longer than 18mm with an 8g thickness. But always remember to match your screws to your table legs to make sure that you don't breach the surface of the worktop.   

In regards to routing the table for the wireless charging pad, I suggest testing a timber off cut with a thickness of 9mm. Place the timber on top of the charging pad and place your phone on top of the timber. If the pad activates then you'll know that you'll need to cut out at least 9mm of the panel. If it does not work, it will be necessary to cut even deeper into the panel. 

Excessive routing will not compromise the structure of the panel. However, it will weaken the surface where it is thinnest. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to finish a SpecRite 1800x600x18 Acacia Golden Panel for a desk?

Thank you @EricL! I appreciate the tips and have already started with your recommendations. Will be heading to the local Bunnings tomorrow to pick up the Oil that recommended. I like the idea with the Satin that it is a semi glossy finish. Don't need it too reflective. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects