Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a stuck window winder?

Marie24
Just Starting Out

How to fix a stuck window winder?

Hello, I have a stuck window winder on a window in the house and am wondering if there is any way I can at least lubricate it - it won't wind out - 

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: I have a stuck Window chain winder on a window

Hi Marie24..

Best thing to do is buy a can of WD40 and give the winder a good spray with it..particularly where the chain goes into the winder..

Leave it for 1/2 hr. and then try it..

Prof..

Hi @Marie24 

We had window  winders in our house  Profs  Idea is good and any mechanism could use a good lubrication for 95%  Is there any spot /area window sticking in the frame if so rub some candle wax, furniture polish with wax in it on both paint surfaces will  hold it for a while Or shave  with a hand plane or electric sander  and make some more room.    Keep in mind why is the  window now sticking ie building movement.  You  have painter through ?  If your a bit handy take the winder handle off and unscrew winder body  if Profs  idea didnt fix problem use wd40 directly on mechanism.

TIP 1  never undo any thing if you are unsure how to put it together.   

TIP 2  get you  phone out and take photos as you undo stuff  so you know how they sit pre disassembly and lay parts out as you remove them on an open area white cloth for small bits so you can put them back in same order.  But always  best to do tip 1  first unless you are willing to make potential costly mistakes.

Tip 3  Nothing ventured nothing gained proceed  with caution stop and reverse if you have to learn from others first.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Marie24. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a stuck window winder.

It's great to see that you've already received helpful replies from our knowledgeable members.

Provided the window hasn't swelled and jammed in place, then it's likely the winding mechanism itself. As @Prof has mentioned, grab some WD40 and, using the long nozzle, squirt it into the mechanism where the chain deploys. After 1/2 an hour, try the winder in both the in and out directions. If you can get it to creep in either direction, continue to spray lubricant on the exposed chain. Gradually you should be able to free it up. Every time you get it to extend, lubricate the exposed chain and then rewind it in again. You need to work the lubrication down into the chain winding mechanism.

Let us know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects