Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix bar stool?

bgab5236
Just Starting Out

How to fix bar stool?

A5F1C7FB-6465-4371-AF74-282F0DABFED3.jpeg

9D7459E1-B3E5-4B9B-805B-83EA544FA047.jpeg

  

Hi, 

1. Regarding photo 1, the barstool legs broke upon sitting on it. Unfortunately, the screws won’t screw back into the hole. Can anyone advise on how to fix this? 

2. Photo 2 shows how the barstools actually looks. Can anyone advise on how to make the chairs structurally more secure? I feel the chairs are already starting to wobble and I’d like to avoid what happened to the other chair. I was thinking perhaps adding a circle metal ring where the foot rests are? 

I appreciate all help! Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix bar stool?

Hello @bgab5236 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to fix your bar stool.

The nuts attached to your bar stool legs are called Screw In Insert Nut for Flat Surfaces. It seems that they have pulled out of the surface of the chair. In order to repair these, you'll need to use a Timber Dowel in combination with Gorilla 236ml Wood Glue. The general steps are to find a dowel that is bigger than the current hole in the seat. 

For example, if the hole in the seat is currently 8mm, I suggest getting a dowel that is at least 10 mm big. Re-drill the hole in the seat to 10mm put glue on the end of the dowel and insert it into the redrilled hole. Use your saw to cut off the excess dowel and sand the area flat. Do this for all the holes in the chair. Once the adhesive has cured you can then redrill the original position of the holes.

Disassemble the insert nut from the bolt using an Allen key and a pair of pliers. Screw the insert nut back to the seat, they should be very very tight now and should hold firmly to the seat. Reattach the bar stool leg and it should be as good as new.

In regards to supporting the legs at the bottom, I suggest using SpecRite 1000 x 405mm 18mm Timber Panel Okoume FJ Laminated - 1000 x 405 x 18mm. I propose cutting a timber circle that is the same size between the legs of your chair. Position the timber circle near the footrest and use a screw to attach the the legs onto the timber circle. This will prevent the legs from wobbling and twisting when weight is applied to it.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fix bar stool?

Afernoon @bgab5236 

Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: Its full of ideas on how to for projects and also question just like yours.

My first idea was to use some shorth stainless coach style bolts zenith m6 x 25mm 316 stainless steel round head bolt and nut 5 pack 

Drill all the way through and if possible remove the metal insert of the existing fillings. The Coach bolt will compree into the timber top as you tighten them. (So the hole needs to be smaller for that square part on the underside of the bolt head)

As for making the seats more steady I like @EricL's suggestion. Or something across the rear legs at the same level as that foot rest. and then something else to tie the front to the back. If its all one piece as Eric suggests then it will be stronger then seperate pieces joined.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects