Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix particleboard table leg?

Samnet
Cultivating a Following

How to fix particleboard table leg?

Hi guys,

I really need help with fixing my office table leg.

It's a very heavy particle board and I was about to move it then a chunk of it with screw in it, came off(photos attached)

Not I can't install the leg back

Any suggestions would be really appreciated

Thanks

Sam

16908495967575656987909478158992.jpg

16908496408932819225195392415860.jpg

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix particleboard table leg?

@Samnet  just looked at the new photo’s the brackets I suggested are for table legs/post with a threaded end that can be screws into the plate.

@EricL bracket advice will be a lot better and stronger to use, just remember to use screws no longer than the desk top, otherwise the screws will protrude through the desk top.

Samnet
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @JoeAzza @Dave-1 @EricL 

I'll go and get all tomorrow from the store and share the results with you.

My main concern is about connecting legs to tops as there are a couple of screws and wood to be matched together

Hopefully the brackets don't add more complications to this alignment

Cheers

Sam

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@Samnet I suggest that you remount the legs after you have replied the broken chipboard, clamped and let dry, then assemble the leg, then fit the angle brackets in the clear areas so they won’t interfere with the existing screws. Hope this helps.

Samnet
Cultivating a Following

@JoeAzza Exactly I was thinking the same order

1- cleaning the surface and removing particles

2- adding glue

3- clamping

4- installing the leg

5- adding the brackets 

What do you think?

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@Samnet good thinking, just use some masking tape or other tape in between the clamp and the glued part, this is so the clamp doesn’t get glued to the wood.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @Samnet 

I was just re-reading your post. I generally find that if its really hard to align then something else may not be so right. I have had to install a bunch of those type of connectors and if things dont match then I look to see what other parts that were tight to do up.

With the right angled brackets, one either side of where that connector bolt would be should be solid enough (Maybe step away from the bolt by 5cm just so you dont screw into anything metal)

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @Samnet 

Certainly a big chunk came away from the desk-top underside.

Is it under warranty?

If that happened after simply just lifting the table - a stronger connection is required.

If you're good with a hammer and chisel - chisel out a small area so that it's flat and deep enough to accept a piece of 5mm steel plate.

This plate has been drilled and tapped to accept the male side of the connecting rod - with countersunk holes for small screws. That rod is never going to come adrift.

Position it as required.

Screw in position (how thick is the desk top?).

Fill the surrounding areas with something like Builders Bog. And maybe brackets as per @EricL ?

I'm happy to mail this to you - or make a smaller base if you give me dimensions. No cost - call it the Bunnings Workshop Community Spirit. 😁

See what you think and let me know.

Cheers!

20230802_130250.jpg

Samnet
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Noyade 

Thanks for your offer.

For sure I need something sturdy. Do you think I can use what you suggested based on the dimensions in these photos?

20230802_135655.jpg

20230802_135739.jpg

20230802_135704.jpg

  

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Sam @Samnet 

The bracket is 50mm by 67mm - it was just a piece of scrap I had handy. I just made it quickly to show you what I was on about and I'm not suggesting this is the only solution to your desk problem.

But I can make the base whatever dimension you want.

Again I ask - what is the thickness of the desk top? You definitely need enough space for screws for this method - otherwise all of the other ideas above may suffice.

"Thanks for your offer."

Genuine offer. You can PM me your address or I can pass it onto the Bunnings Workshop who could forward it onto you if you desire anonymity.

I just love trying to solve life's little problems - if I can.

20230802_155810.jpg

Scan1414.jpg

Samnet
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Noyade 

I tried to take photos from different angles to give you better idea of the size and if it works for me or not

20230802_165628.jpg

20230802_165726.jpg

20230802_165743.jpg

20230802_165757.jpg

20230802_165819.jpg

   

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects