Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve privacy of front of rental property?

Dee6
Finding My Feet

How to improve privacy of front of rental property?

Hi Team Bunnings 

Need help and an idea to get more privacy on the front entrance door of my rental property? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: advice for front screen & privacy?

Hello @Dee6 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about creating a front privacy screen.

I suggest having a look at this excellent project - Wooden gates turned into garden trellis by @Grub80. It's possible to build something similar so that it would fit into the space that is available to you. All you would need to add are potted plants or climbers to create a natural cover for your front door. 

It's even possible to build just the bottom part so that you can put in potted hedge plants. The best part of course is that when it's time to move, you can take the trellis and plants with you to your next home. 

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: advice for front screen & privacy?

Hello @Dee6 

Any chance you can give us a photo of the front entrence area? 

There is one type of thing that comes to mind, something I saw on Gardening Australia one time.

The lady wanted a tempory support post much like you would need for a screen of any kind. The solution was to use a metal garbage bin (or plastic depending on how big and area you may have) put a post (H3 type I think which is timber that has been treated to withstand being inthe ground for longer) into the center of it and fill it with gravel/rocks.

@EricL's suggestion about climbing plants could definently be incorporated into it by only filling the container with say 2/3rds of gravel and then a medium such as an old shirt/weed mat and then soil on top. (The medium is to stop all your soil from going down into the gravel so easily make sure you put in drainage holes on the bottom pof the container.)

Once you have a post or say two pots then you could put a trellis/ string rope/wire to allow plants to grow. Just rem as these posts are not bolted to the ground if you get a strong wind.... Wooshka :smile: If we see a pic of the area we may have even more ideas :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects