Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install James Hardie Axent Trim?

Kon2023
Finding My Feet

How to install James Hardie Axent Trim?

Hi there,

We are building a new home and would like to use the James Hardie Axent Trim on our facade.

We will have 100mm foam cladding that will be rendered. Once the renderer applies the base coat of render we then would like to install the Axent trim before the final coat of render is done. However, I'm wondering how do you fix the Axent Trim to the foam cladding given the cladding is 100mm thick and fixings need to be made into the stud wall?

Would you simply use longer nails/screws or is there another method which is commonly used or recommended.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Kon

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install James Hardie Axent Trim

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kon2023. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing James Hardie Axent Trim.

I trust you've already read through the installation guide. For deviation from the guide, it's best to contact the James Hardie Technical Team directly and discuss the viable solutions. I'll give them a call for you after the weekend to find out if there are any alternate ways of fixing.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Yes I have read the manual but it only recommends 65mm bullet head nails for  a 38mm trim. That wouldn't work in my case as I have the foam cladding behind which is 100mm so nails won't reach the timber stud.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Cheers

Kon

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kon2023,

I've had a chat with the James Hardie technical team, and the Axent trim usage is falling quite outside what it was designed for. Initially, its use is for cladding boards and not a rendered surface, and the team recommends you source an architectural trim designed for that purpose. It's also not designed to be installed over a compressible surface such as foam cladding. The 100mm thick foam is what really throws a spanner in the works. The only way the team at James Hardie can see you being able to install the Axent trim would be if you battened out the foam and created a structure on top of it to affix the trim. However, even then, you are going to struggle to find screws that will be long enough to go through your batten, the foam board and into the timber stud work.

The only other option I can think of would be cutting the foam cladding back to expose the studs in the corner and attaching new studs onto them to bring them out further so the Axent trim could be attached directly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your help Mitchell.

Cheers

Kon

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects