Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install timber floorboards over concrete slab?

Lee777
Getting Established

How to install timber floorboards over concrete slab?

Guys,

Im looking at installing 13mm solid jarrah floor boards on existing concrete slab.

Do you have any videos/publications on:-

Preparation 

Any moisture membrane requirements

The best glue/adhesive to use

Installation processes

Sanding, staining and sealing.

Thanks! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to install timber floorboards over concrete slab?

Hi @Lee777,

Apologies for the slow response. It's been a busy time on the site with many members tackling projects over the Easter break. I'm sure one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to assist as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Lee777 

My apologies for the late reply. Allow me to try and answer some of your questions. 

• The concrete floor will need to be checked for flatness. You can use a long spirit level and mark the floor with chalk to indicate where you'll need to use self-levelling cement.  

• A silicone vapour shield such as the Qep 2mm White Laminate Floor Underlay can be used for applications requiring moisture protection. Please note that this is dependent on the type of installation method being applied.

• The general installation methods I'm familiar with is either using timber strips or using large panels of plywood over the vapour shield. However, direct installation to a concrete base is best handled by a professional.

• Here are some handy step-by-step guides to sanding and sealing timber floors - How to sand timber floors and How to seal timber floors.

In regards to the adhesive, I'll need to confer with my friends regarding which ones to use. I'm sorry but Bunnings does not have a timber floor installation video.

If this is your first attempt at installing timber flooring and it is a large area, I propose engaging the services of a professional installer. It will be installed to industry standards and is covered by the installers warranty. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric   

wooshka
Making a Splash

HI @Lee777 , i have done this exact job myself as i was the recipient of an the area of of full house of old Wandoo floor boards.

If its under main roof inside the house i cant see any need for a membrane as the wood with breath anyway

I caused myself extra work as well as i wanted them to all be 600mm long, so each board was cut and then cleaned up to suit.

I then bought some external grade 18mm ply and cut into 50mm strips and glued them down with liquid nails and concrete nails, quite the job

next step i ran the first row down and nailed each board down with a nail gun , but being Wandoo i had to pre drill everything!

I laid the whole lot on an easter weekend with my daughter doing the pre drilling ( i had done the other work over a few months)

then i hired a Contractor to do the sanding and sealing 

Unfortunatly no pics! we have since sold the house, if i can find any i will add them

Lee777
Getting Established

Thanks Wooshka,

That sounds like a good project.

I have to fix direct to the concrete so the timber will match existing tiled area.

Thanks for providing details on your project.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lee777,

Although you could try and glue down the floorboards with an adhesive like Liquid Nails that wouldn't be recommended by the floorboard manufacturer. As @wooshka mentioned, it would be best to install timber strips onto the concrete and then attach your floorboards to those with nails. I understand that you don't have the height to do that so perhaps you might like to consider Hybrid Vinyl flooring instead.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc , @Lee777 , we did have the issue of the floor boards being approx 35-40mm higher than existing flooring(18mm ply plus 20mm Wandoo), but what i did was tapered the flooring down towards the existing height so the max height difference was about 8mm. 

at the end of the day it worked.

Also if you just use an adhesive to glue them down only it will be extremely difficult to get a nice finish as natural timber moves with the climate , i.e expands and contracts, so it needs to be secure

Lee777
Getting Established

Thanks Guys,

I have one room with a lower floor level where I could use the strip method.

What product would be best for the strips?

What are the best fixtures for the strips?

What size would be best for the strips?

What spacing are best for the strips?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lee777,

The timber you use would typically be the largest possible for the space you have. How much height can you afford to use? Something like this 42 x 28mm Merbau would be suitable, or possibly 42 x 18mm Pine, though it would be better to use a hardwood like Merbau.

I'd recommend fixing the strips down with Liquid Nails and masonry screws.

The spacing between the strips will be around 450mm.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Morning @MitchellMc 

I'm always interested in learning new ways of attaching things to concrete - so those screws above look very interesting. Yet reviewers on the Bunnings site - Vaughn and Chris - describe them as "useless" and "rubbish" - and I'm wondering why.

There must be a pilot hole?

And do you know much about these?

Saw them recently.

Cheers.

Nails.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects