Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint glossy interior brick wall?

eileen92
Finding My Feet

How to paint glossy interior brick wall?

Hi

I'm trying to paint brick walls inside my house.

They're really orange and glossy.

Any recommendations on how to paint these walls white? I really would like to tone down the orange and spend as little as possible on this project.

Thanks!

1000006669.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to paint glossy interior brick wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @eileen92. It's great to have you join us.

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to share their product recommendations with you. In the meantime, could we please trouble you for a photo or two of the bricks so we can see what you are working with?

Many thanks. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share with the community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Done!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry @eileen92, any chance of a higher resolution image so we can see the surface of the brick? From your description, it sounds like they could be glazed, which I suspect could affect what products are recommended as it could be a difficult surface for paint to adhere to.

Thanks,

Jason

1000007077.jpg

 here you go :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @eileen92 

Thank you for sharing that extra photo of your tiled wall. I suggest using the Dulux Renovation Range on your tiled wall. It can be used on ceramic and porcelain tiles, laminate, vinyl, PVC and other plastic-wrapped surfaces.

The general steps are to clean the surface of tile with sugar soap. The tile surface is then sanded thoroughly to provide a good surface for the primer to adhere to. The surface is then cleaned once more and then the primer is painted on and allowed to cure before painting the topcoat on.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: How to paint bathroom tiles.

I also suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Painted shower tiles by @Chris_T. This is just to show you how paint can transform the look of your tiles. If you are curious to see what the tiles actually look like after being painted, I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the Dulux Renovation Range sample wall. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @eileen92 

Now that I 've had a second look at your glossy wall, is this exposed to the outside? If it is, then you won't be able to use the Dulux paint as it is for indoor use only. That shiny surface on your brick wall is that because it's a tiled brick wall or is it a sealed brick wall? If it is a sealed brick wall, I'll need to recommend another product for your project.

Any extra information you can tell us about the composition of your wall would be very much appreciated.

Eric

Hi Eric

They're all indoor walls and not exposed to outside.

I have no idea where the gloss came from.

How do I tell if it's tiled or sealed?

Thanks,

Eieen

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eileen92 

A quick way to tell if it is solid brick is to scratch the surface of the brick with a nail. When you scratch the surface, you should just see brick material, but as you continue to scratch, and it changes colour to either white or grey then that will tell you that it is a tile. I suggest testing a brick that is not in direct line of sight and is out of the way.

Another way is to check the exposed edges of the brick. A real brick will be a solid form in brick colour, where as a tile will have visible joins when turning a corner.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Eric

Ohhhh if the question is whether they are real bricks, then yes they're real. The house is a brick house.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects