Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint staircase railing?

Alyce_Pham
Making a Splash

How to paint staircase railing?

Hi everyone, I am wanting to paint my staircase railing white but really unsure on how to paint the black thin poles. Would love some advice on the best product to use and also how to go about painting them that wouldn't end in a huge mess. 

Thank you in advance.

staircase 1.jpgstaircase 2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint staircase railing?

Hello @Alyce_Pham 

In order to protect your carpet from the odd paint splash, I suggest using drop sheets in combination with painter's tape. I recommend taping right next to the steel rails and its ends. Cover your carpet with Paint Partner 2.6 x 3.6m Plastic Backed Canvas Drop Sheet. If you want extra protection, I propose putting drop sheets on your walls as well.

Keep in mind that anything you don't want to paint must be covered or masked.

If the paint on the steel post is still in good solid condition, I suggest painting over it with Dulux 1L PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer and for the topcoat I propose Dulux Aquanamel for its strength. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when you begin your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to paint staircase railing?

Hi @EricL thank you, this is wonderful info. 

I have been putting it off as I was avoiding spray paint as I'm sure it will end up a huge mess but love the suggestion of the primer and the Aquanamel. 

Looking forward to giving it a go very soon!

Alyce

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects