Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare and paint a steel security screen door?

TekBoffin
Growing in Experience

How to prepare and paint a steel security screen door?

Hi,

We have an old (probably over 30 years) steel framed security screen door. It is pretty solid and I haven't seen any others the same and I quite like it. But it is getting tired. there is surface rust across the pressed middle sections. The surface has an orange-peel look to it. I am guessing it is probably some sort of enamel coating, but really don't know.

The fly screen is shot and I need to replace it, but I thought it would make sense to try to clean it up while I have the mesh off it.

I would like to paint it white. 

Can anyone tell me if this is actually possible, to successfully repaint over the original surface? What sort of preparation would be needed and any ideas on what sort of paint to use? Obvious it would be best to spray it. I have an electric airless spray gun that I have never been game to try, so that might be an option too.

I've attached a couple of photos of the door.

Cheers,

GregIMG_2701[1].JPGIMG_2702[1].JPGIMG_2703[1].JPG

Greg Miller
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare and paint a steel security screen door.

Hi @TekBoffin,

You might like to check out this discussion on How to paint 80's aluminium doors. There's plenty of great information in there.

I'd suggest you take to that rust with a wire brush wheel in a drill. Once you've knocked off most of the rust, you can apply Rust Guard Primer and then your topcoat. Before the primer, you might like to do a rust conversion which will halt any of that rust; it is probably not necessary, though, if you can knock most of the rust off.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects