Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-install a masonry screw that's come out of the wall?

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

How to re-install a masonry screw that's come out of the wall?

Thanks in advance. We have a home lift for disabled access. The aluminium piece that covers the edge of the render within the lift well is screwed to the wall but one of the 3  screws has come out and will not hold trying to put it back in. The aluminium piece therefore sticks out a bit and the lift car floor is catching on it as it ascends making the ‘sticking out’ worse each time. I can’t easily remove the whole piece to insert a plug. It is not clear whether there is a plug in there now that has come loose. The screw that came out is gauge 8G and 30mm long.  Any replacement screw needs a fairly flat head as otherwise the screw itself will cause the same problem. I assume a replacement screw will need to be longer and possibly thicker gauge. Is there a suitable screw for masonry without a plug? I think the wall is brick but I’m not 100% sure. Any advice and suggestions appreciated.

e1.jpege2.jpege3.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: screw into masonry when plug not possible

Hi @Coolaholigah,

You could try a 10g x 32mm masonry screw. The extra thickness might be enough to grip the masonry. Another option would be to drill out the trim and hole, insert a plastic plug into the masonry, and screw into that. This STAHL Masonry Kit 8mm Drill With 50mm Blue Wall Plug kit will be useful.

The best option might be to move the position of the hole, so you're working with fresh masonry. Simple pre-drill the aluminium trim and screw into the masonry.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if he has any thoughts.

If in doubt, I'd encourage you to consider enlisting the services of a professional. I'm sure they'd have the trim back into position, and the situation resolved in a matter of minutes.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

"The best option might be to move the position of the hole."

Ditto that my leaned friend.

And/or I would (personally) take the bracket off and look at what is going on with the wall. Is it just anchored to fibro? The middle screw - the fibro seems to end just below it?

Morning @Coolaholigah 

"I can’t easily remove the whole piece"

What's preventing this - may I ask?  🤔

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your response. I agree re moving the hole. Isn't it funny when someone suggests something and then you think " that is so obvious. Why didnt I think of that?"

Its fixed into masonry, rendered brick I think.

I can't easily remove the piece because firstly there seems to be adhesive as well under the rest of the strip but mainly, it goes past the edges of the lift car and the horizontal space is too narrow to get the angle out without damaging it or a new one in without damaging the new one.

Thanks for that @Coolaholigah 

Then I'm with @MitchellMc, as above - try another spot for anchorage. Or try a longer masonry drill in the hole above and see if there is any wall resistance that would accommodate a longer anchor?

Just Sunday thoughts.

Please let us know how you get on. 👍

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

I have some of these in the ‘shed’. What do you think of trying them?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-6-x-38mm-universal-anchor-6-pack_p2260441

"What do you think of trying them?"

"Give it a go" @Coolaholigah 

I think that's Ozito's catch phrase. 😁

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd agree with @Noyade, @Coolaholigah. Certainly worth a try!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Coolaholigah, you've probably thought of this, but ...

you will need to use a washer too, due to the larger hole that will be required to insert the plug through the aluminium strip, (given that you can't remove it to insert the plug first, as would usually happen) will allow the supplied screw head to pass through that hole in the strip.

Given that the screw won't be heavily loaded, have you tried pushing some match sticks into the hole to fill it (cut the heads off with a knife or chisel once in)  and then screwing into that?  To get them tight, hammer the last one in.  Hopefully there will be enough of the original plug still in there to expand and hold the screw inside the masonry.  

(In any case, using a wooden plug was the way anchoring into masonry was done before plastic plugs were invented.)  

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

Yes I had thought that the hole would be bigger and I either need a large flat headed screw or a washer as you say. Will bear it in mind.

I’ve never heard of the ‘stuffing it with matches’ thing. I could give it a try.I’ll have another poke with a skewer in the morning but I actually don’t think there is a plug in there at all.

thank you so much for your input. I love this stuff. I know mitchellmc suggested getting someone in but aside from the difficulty of finding someone prepared to do such a small job, the satisfaction of doing it oneself is sooooo good

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects