Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove old carpet glue from concrete?

Spravotchka
Finding My Feet

How to remove old carpet glue from concrete?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/for-hire-coates-floor-grinder-24-hr_p0256361

Can I use this coates floor grinder to remove old carpet glue from concrete? It mentions removing grout. If not, what kind of tool do I need?

20220115_104901.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing old carpet glue from concrete

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Spravotchka. It's excellent to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing carpet glue.

Before you start, I'd like to make you aware that in the past, glues and adhesives used on carpet and underlay may have contained non-friable asbestos. Depending on the vintage of your property, please bear this in mind and, if in doubt, take all precautions to ensure your safety and that of those around you. 

What sort of flooring are you planning on laying in this area?

The Coates Floor Grinder excels at removing cement-based grout and adhesives left behind from tiling on concrete floors. Carpet glues are likely to gum up the machine's disc before you can remove a substantial amount of it. You'll need to use a floor scraper for carpet glues and preferably a premium product similar to the QEP 8" Extend Floor And Wall Scraper. You'll also find a chisel or sharpened cold chisel effective at removing the more stubborn sections.

A multi-tool fitted with a scraping attachment is another option that can effectively cut the glue away.

You can apply Diggers 1L Glue Rid to soften the glue ten minutes prior to trying the above methods. Make sure you ventilate the area well before using it. Open all windows and have that fan blowing in fresh air. Also, remember to wear your PPE including an appropriately rated respirator.

Looking at the amount of glue that's there (which doesn't appear to be a whole heap), I'd suggest going with the floor scraper and potentially using the Glue Rid if the adhesive is stubborn. 

Please let me know if you have questions or need further advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Scraping does nothing. It took 3 applications of Digger over 3 hours to do a 30cm x 3m strip, and even then there was residue remaining,  plus the whole house stinks of Digger now despite the treated area having a door & window open 24/7 - hence my enquiry about using equipment. Is there any type of grinder or other tool that doesn't get clogged?  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove old carpet glue from concrete?

For some reason, I didn't come across the appropriate tool whilst searching earlier @Spravotchka. I've just discovered that we do hire the Coates Floor Stripper. These 240V bladed floor strippers are the industry standard for removing adhesives. However, since there is such a thin layer of adhesive, I'm not convinced that it will be able to get under that and lift it off.

The only alternative I can think of would be to purchase an angle grinder and fit a Flexovit 180 x 180 x 25mm Diamond Cup Grinder Blade. That's the only disc that is suitable for the removal of glues, epoxies, etc. If the diamonds become gummed up with glue, touch the blade to some concrete or a house brick to remove the glue before continuing. You can use a standard oxide grinding disc, though they are pretty aggressive and can clog easily.

Given that I've now found a diamond cup blade that can remove glues, I'm just waiting on Coates to get back to me to ensure their floor grinder is indeed not suitable. Removing carpet adhesive is one of the most tedious jobs when it comes to home renovations; if you can do it with a larger, more powerful machine, all the better.

Mitchell

Hi @Spravotchka,

I've been able to double-check with Coates Hire, and they are advising that the type of diamond grinding shoes supplied on the hire machine are only suitable for grinding back concrete. In their experience, when used for carpet glue (which has happened in the past), the blades gum up almost immediately, and the machine ceases to remove material.

Let me mention @TedBear and @tom_builds to see if they have any thoughts on effective methods for removing the glue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @Spravotchka , I would be considering using a stripping disk for this purpose, such as:-

https://www.bunnings.com.au/flexovit-125-x-22-23mm-stripping-ripper-grinding-disc_p0116161?referrer=...

@Spravotchka I'd be giving @TedBear's suggestion a go - that silicone carbide disc looks like it has potential. I have previously removed similarly tough glue with a multi tool scraper blade and it was a horrible and slow job, but probably quicker than a hand scraper.

jpr79
Finding My Feet

Re: How to remove old carpet glue from concrete?

Hi there,
I recently had the same problem - thick lots of carpet glue on concrete used to keep the underlay from moving around.
The solution I have comes from the carpet installers I had - who gave me what looks like a paint scraper blade thing, similar to the one used on windows to remove stickers and paint, but just slightly bigger than that.
The blades that normally come with them are fidgety and expensive, so they gave me theirs to borrow with a stanley knife blade inserted and it worked a charm!
No chemicals, saves you money and all you need to do is get down on your knees and push. 
I used the underlay to cushion my knees but felt great after removing it myself.
Hope this helps.

Thank you Mitchell, appreciate your advice. Did not realise it was going to be such a hard job, slightly regretting pulling up the carpet now lol

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects