Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint porch?

Pcan
Growing in Experience

How to repaint porch?

The porch is red colour. I am guessing it is red oxide. What is the best way to repaint this surface? What materials do I need and the process of doing it? 20240209_114138.jpg20240209_114143.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Re painting porch

Hi @Pcan,

You have some worn sections on the paint, so that means you'll need to use a paint system designed to be applied over a deteriorated pre-painted surface. There's only one product that I'm aware of that covers that situation, and it is the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete and Garage Recoat Primer. A limited number of colours are compatible with that primer, and they are Rust-Oleum 3.78L Battleship Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint and Rust-Oleum 3.78L Armour Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint.

The alternative would be to grind/sand off all the deteriorated paint, which would open up the possibility of using an extended range of concrete paint in a variety of different colours. Remember your PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses and hearing protection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Pcan
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Absolute novice here. How do I grind and sand? I have an angle grinder and can get some sandpaper. Then use the Olem as a primer only for the patches or the entire floor and paint the whole floor with the same red colour cement paint?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can get flap sanding discs for an angle grinder @Pcan. Since you've stated you're a novice, I need to point out that an angle grinder wouldn't be considered a novice tool as they can be extremely dangerous if handled inappropriately. 

The Rustoleum primer is only needed for painted areas that are worn; sanding those areas back means you can use a standard paint, and there is no need for the primer, you'd just follow the instructions on the can for the new red colour.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects