Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair burnt carpet?

mush23
Just Starting Out

How to repair burnt carpet?

Hi all,

Accidentally burnt a small area of the carpet the carpet while drying it and now professionals are asking for 200 plus dollars and I can't really afford that plus I think its too much given that it is a small.area . I'm thinking about doing it myself by using a patch from the wardrobe but a bit worried about how to make the edges meet and what tools I require.  Located in belconnen,  appreciate any helpful advice.  👌 

1000024634.jpg

1000024632.jpg

1000024633.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair burnt carpet

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mush23. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing carpet.

Provided they are a reputable company, and they've stipulated that you'll get a next-to seamless/invisible repair, that sounds like an entirely reasonable quote. In fact, even double that would be worth considering. Repairing carpet is a bit of an art form, so I'd recommend you try to budget in the cost of repair over the next several months. You could attempt to do the work yourself, and if all goes well, that's awesome, but one cut slightly off the mark or askew, or if you don't get the pattern matched up exactly, the repair will be entirely noticeable.

You'll need tools, materials, and safety gear, including a ruler, a retractable knife, carpet adhesive, safety glasses, and cut-resistant gloves. It might be best to create a paper template of the area you'll need to cover that can be transferred onto the new carpet and cut out. Remember to cut a little oversized, which can be trimmed back, rather than risk being undersized. Aligning the pattern will likely be the most difficult part, and you'll need to pay close attention to that detail when selecting the new carpet area to cut out.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects