Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair ceiling and wall cracks?

yuna974
Just Starting Out

How to repair ceiling and wall cracks?

Hi, our house was likely built in 70’s or 80’s and has a lot of crack around the ceiling and in the walls. I have never repaired cracks and don’t know where to start! These cracks started to appear 9 years ago just after purchase (previous owners covered them which we now know). We are now looking to finally repair them again but don’t know where to start! I’ll add a few photos, these cracks appear in most rooms. 

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

IMG_1021.jpeg

IMG_1022.jpeg

IMG_1023.jpeg

IMG_1024.jpeg

IMG_1025.jpeg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair ceiling and wall cracks?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @yuna974. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing cracks.

A cartridge of Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler will get you so far, but these are not small fine cracks that can be easily masked. They are so substantial that I'd recommend you enlist the services of a professional who deals with home subsidence issues to evaluate your foundation/piers. The property has moved significantly, and that issue needs to be addressed. As the previous owner has done, you can mask the issues with filler, but this type of damage is likely something you will need to call on your house insurance to fix, and I'd recommend you go down that route in case it gets worse.

As a side note, your home is quite old, so before you conduct any repairs, it's highly recommended to have it assessed for containing possible asbestos products.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects