Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair foundation pier?

Walter

How to repair foundation pier?

Hey Workshoppers,

One of my senior friends called me over on this.

They have a brick house, well above the soil, sloped land (not a steep slope). Big space under the floor, supported on brick piers.

I think there's been some movement, and I've suggested an engineer, but thats costly, in the meantime, ONE of the piers has deteriorated, the remaining brickwork isn't firm (it rocks when I move it- so I think the soil has washed away.  `I checked the other piers, and they seem to be plumb (straight) via a spirit level, but I'm worried about this pier. Image below.

I think in the short time, something like this Uni-Pier might help, or at least be remedial.  I think we might have to get a better cement layer. My own opinion is to get a structural inspection done, but I want to get them reassured first.  I doubt home insurance covers this, because it's something people should inspected regularly.

Any advice from Workshoppers welcome.

Here's the photos:

PXL_20240322_052518435.jpg

This neighbouring pier is plumb:

PXL_20240322_052405616.jpgPXL_20240322_052447629.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair foundation pier?

Hi @Walter,

Many thanks for your question.

Yes, this is definitely something the owner should be engaging the services of a structural engineer for advice on, as it is likely there are a number of issues that will need to be addressed.

In the meantime, the Uni-Pier you have linked can offer some help but as they are a special-order item, it may take some time for them to be delivered from the supplier. I'd suggest using Gorilla 1.98-3.35m Galvanised Formwork Prop #2 as a temporary support with a suitably thick concrete paver as a base for the prop.

I just want to really drill home the point that this can only be used as a temporary measure and that the owner, as a matter of urgency, needs to contact a structural engineer for advice on remediation.

Please let me know what you think.

Jacob

Re: How to repair foundation pier?

Hey @JacobZ 

thanks for your response. Yes, I've advised the pensioner that a qualified structural engineer needs to inspect, and provide a report and reccomendations.

I wouldn't want to take responsibilty for something that doesn't work. The Gorilla prop looks good, and I can see it can be raised to the right height. I picked the UNiPier, because it looks like a good wrench or spammer can raise or lower it.

With the weather events of recent time, I think I'd rather they had some reassurance of a temporary support while they get a proper inspection, so I'll get them on it.  

With any luck, an engineer will be out to visit them, and probably suggest a support pillar first and then do the remedial work.

Many Thanks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects